Fort Morgan next week!! Basics? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackHogDown

Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 PM  
Ruby Red Lip

Default Fort Morgan next week!! Basics?

This is what I have so far also not pictured I have hooks and pyramid weights also several rigs tied up what am I missing yet? Along with my 10ft surf pole I'm bringing a 7ft and 6.6ft that I use for bass fishing one loaded with 14lb braid and another will be 10lb mono this is my first time and I know a lot of it is luck and knowin where to go but I'd like to catch some rays, pomps, black or red drum, trout, and shark not after monsters just want some to fill my freezer so if it's legal I'll keep it. Thanks ahead of time for any and all info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crs89 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 09:19 PM  
Sailfish

Read some of Chris's reports in surf reports, then go visit him at his shop in gulf shores and try and get him to talk. He's the reigning surf fishing champ on the forum. I read and reread and read one more time all his posts. He knows his stuff
halo1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM  
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

I'd stick with the spoons, Gulp shrimp, and the buck tail jigs- and maybe add a MirroLure mirrodine and / or Catch 2000, and Rip/Slash. A couple pompano rigs are a "must have" too. There are some nice spots to fish down Ft Morgan Rd- inshore and beach. Best general advice I can give is start early in the morning- on the beach, watch for breaks in the sandbars and schools of baitfish. Might want to keep some stainless wire or heavy mono leaders handy in case you run across a bunch of bluefish- they'll hit almost anything when feeding, but I used a big 3oz silver spoon on my surf rod to throw at them (they're better fresh- not frozen, and bleed them soon after caught to mellow their flavor). You can use a "gulf rig" or other bottom rig for drum, and best to use fresh cut bait, small live croakers- something like that. Chris was doing pretty good with his rip/slash catching trout and stuff on the beach, in Orange Beach.
On the bay side, I usually looked for oyster bars, pilings, debris, etc and would throw my Catch 2000 for trout and stuff.
And I'll second the suggestion to see Chris at SAMs Stop and Shop, on Canal Rd in Orange Beach. He's usually in on Wed-Sun- see his profile and posts for hours (if still listed).
Just a couple suggestions there- hope they're helpful!
Tight lines-
Mike

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM  
Ruby Red Lip

Wirelessly posted

Just messing around latley I have been doing well with mirrodines and gold 3/4 spoons. I haven't been able to get out in the early am, but I have been fishing the the couple hrs around the tide change. Haven't really looked for troughs. I just walk out to waist deep and start chunking. I have been catching a lot of Spanish, white & speckled trout, reds up to 28", and all the hardtails, ladys and bluefish that you want.

Most importantly you will need to tie a thin wire leader or 30 lb Fluor leader. If not, you will be cut off about ever 3 bites. If using Fluor, check the line after every fish. I started using thin 38 lb American wire as I got tired of changing leaders. I tie it with a haywire twist to a swivel then to the lure.
badonskybuccaneers likes this.

Last edited by BlackHogDown; 07-09-2015 at 03:02 PM.
BlackHogDown is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2015, 10:21 PM  
Ruby Red Lip

I'll be there Monday I have tied up several rigs from 14lb to 40lb single hook up to 3 none with floats tho since this is my first time I don't wanna go to crazy with the buying but if there biting on something I'll sure buy it just want something that's gonna fight like hell and put food in my freezer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crs89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 02:22 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Default pensacola beach

greetings .headed to Pensacola beach in early august. any help with what kind of tackle to use to surf fish with . what type of bait or lures. will only be there 4 days. first time going to this area of the beach. any help with these questions?
spacebase1952 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in