Fort morgan in July - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Fort morgan in July

I'm goin to fort morgan this July and was wanting to try some surf fishing I've looked around a bit but haven't found all the info I need. So here's where I'm at I've decided on a cabelas salt stalker surf reel the pole will be a penn should I get 10ft or 12ft? Line will be 20lb braid with 30lb fluorocarbon leader obviously on a swivel but that's as far as I got. What size hooks do I need? Weights? Bait? Anything I can buy before I go would be great. Also what can I expect to catch?
Crs89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
Seafox 237 twin outboards
Blue Marlin

Have some comfortable shoes and make the long journey threw the park to the other side. Tons of life coming in and out of that pass to catch
Chapman5011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
Constitution Conservative
Sailfish

Penn Fierce or Battle combo, 5000 reel with a 10' rod.

1. Leader material, 10#, 20#, 30# mono or FC, some wire leader for sharks.
2. #6 and #4 Kahle for pompano and whiting, 5/0 & 9/0 circles for larger cut baits for Reds/Blacks/Jacks/Sharks
3. 1oz, 3oz & 6oz pyramid and non-rolling sinkers and egg sinkers, maybe some 1oz- 3oz spider/sputnik weights if the current is really ripping or heavy surf.
5. Beads, a variety size and color, I like clear unless used an attractant in front of hook
6. Some Mirrolures, Top Dawg and TD Jr are good (bone, red/white & halloween)
but don't forget the suspending twitch baits as well (52M & 52 MR as well as TT series)
7. Krocodile, Mr Champ, Sidewinder and Johnson Sprite spoons (with treble hook, you won't need a weed guard)
9. One word: Gulp Floating Pearl (OK, that's 3 words ;-) rig Carolina style or drop rig
10. And cigar floats (for live shrimp, mullet or LYs) and Bubble Rigs work great from the beach
11. H&H jigheads 1/8oz for shallow water of sub-surface, 1/4oz for intermediate, 3/8oz for deep water or moderate wind/current, 1/2oz for strong wind/current/waves
12.Tie a bunch of leaders before you go out, bag them and they're ready to go.
20# double drop Pomp rigs with the kahle hooks.
30# double drop with the 5/0 circles for bigger prey
3'-5' wire leaders with 9/0 circles for sharks
A bubble rig or two

GOOD BAIT is essential.
Sand fleas and/or ghost shrimp or at least FRESH dead shrimp.
Otherwise you are fishing for hardheads, stingrays and pinfish (Garbage Can Slam).

Water, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, towel, phone/camera, sand spike ***WATER!***
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Sailfish

Specks, Bluefish, Jacks, Flounder, Red & Black drum, Skippers, Spanish, Rays, Sharks and more.

I caught the 8' Scalloped Hammerhead in my avatar fishing on Ft. Morgan.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the fast response! I'll have to try and check out the penn combo they didn't have them when I went and checked them out hate buyin a reel without feelin it. How long should my leaders be? I'm also gonna bring a bass rod for catching bait fish to save a little coin how should it be set up? Right now it's runnin 10lb Cajun line with a 6'6" rod
Old 05-21-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Same advice as everyone else, but the hammer in my avitar is 10'.

There are some poles sticking up on the north side of fort Morgan just West of the Pier. The water gets deep fast there. If you could cast out that far or kayak out to it, you might be surprised what you hook.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
Sailfish

On the Bay side of the Point, anything South of the yellow bouy drops from 3-6' down to 20+ like a cliff. 100 yards South of the bouy it is only 10-20 yards to the drop off, that is where I love to fish. Huge Bull Reds & Big Uglies and plenty of sharks.

OK, lets have a hammer size contest...
This lil'ol Great Hammer was a mere 11'5"
Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Holy cow I'd crap down both legs if I hooked somethin that big much less landed it I just wanna catch a lil of everything I'm takin my 5year old son with me he loves seein fish no patients for fishing tho and I as well wanna see new fish for once
Old 05-21-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

How do I catch flounder, shark, rays, and lady fish those are the ones my son really wants to see. Is one way better than another or is it more of a luck of the draw?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #10
Sailfish

Flounder, the walkway that comes out of the Fort's parking lot ends at some large concrete blocks. Live shrimp or Bull minnows worked around those often yield Flounder. So do shrimp tipped jigs or Gulp shrimp.
Around the boat launch and pier too, wade around the pier.

Rays, lots of dinner plate sized rays in the shallow water.
My son catches them all the time on a shrimp/cut bait tipped sabiki or carolina rig.

Ladyfish, just fish a Pompano rig, all sorts of fish will those.
Pomps, Ladies, Puppy drum, Whiting, Specks, Rays and small Atlantic Sharpnose sharks.

A heavy mono leader or wire leader fished on a bottom rig with cut bait will catch rays & sharks, as well as Red/Black drum, blues and more.

Gold/Silver spoons, Specks, Ladies, Reds, Blues and more.
Bubble rigs, Spanish, Ladies and etc.

Blacktip and Spinners will hit lures if they're hungry & feeding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in