Do you eat shark - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Default Do you eat shark

Do you eat sharks? Pretty simple. What kind do you eat? How big/small do they need to be. How do you cook them?
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Grouper

Default shark

mako...its whats for dinner!

Black tips are also tasty.

Mako prepair it like a steak.....black tips same thing but marinade the BT steaks over night in italian dressing then throw them on the grille.

TRP

TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Grouper

Mako is a very tasty fish but hard to come by for the normal guy.Sometimes they have it at the seafood market. Smaller coastal sharks like the BT and the bulls are decent table fare. Also Tiger shark is very tasty close to mako but now unkeepable in in land waters to 9miles out because of recent law changes. I like mine grilled also but the smaller fish also taste good fried properly.

Last edited by J.Sharit; 01-24-2012 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spell
J.Sharit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

I caught this little guy off Orange beach last summer, but a lady told me it was too small and I had to throw it back. I didn't know the law so I did. I think it was a legal fish after looking at the law. Is this a black tip?

How do you clean these?
Are there any parts you don't wat to eat?
Do you leave the skin on while cooking?
Do you cook them well done or like you would a tuna?
What's the meat like red, white?
How do you get the jaws out and do you just boil them down to get the meat off?
Would this fish be legal in FL?
I've heard storys of little guys like this biting chunks out of people when they are holding them. Can they really do that?

Sorry that's all the questions I can think of right now.

Last edited by johnf; 01-24-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Just experimenting with the picture post.

Name:  OBeach Jaws light.jpg
Views: 7204
Size:  28.4 KB

The toes on the right are not mine.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Grouper

Default sharks

Sure they are not!

Florida Regs:

-1 per harvester or 2 per vessel per day, whichever is less

-54" fork for all sharks except Atlantic sharpnose, blacknose, blacktip, bonnethead, finetooth and smooth dogfish

TRP

Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

What does 54" fork mean? What is the fork? Is that a min. or max?

Was that a black tip?
So would that fish be legal?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
Grouper

Measure from the tip of the snout to the fork in the tail. min 54" for most shark species except those listed above

TRP

Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Shark is great to eat like Kane and Rouge said.

If it's not Mako (which is in a class by itself, more like sowdfish) you definitely need to marinate it like Rogue said. Sharks have a high amount of ammonia in there meat (they do not piss through there skin like the myth says). Ammonia is an alkali, and you want to counteract it with an acid. Thus italian dressing because of the vinegar.

If you don't want that flavor added to the meat, you can use a solution of lemon juice and water. Just don't use the "RealLemon" brand. It's full of sulfites and sodium benzoate and leaves about as nasty a taste as the ammonia. Use either Minute made brand (frozen container sold by the frozen orange juice, but getting harder and harder to find) or fresh squeezed lemon juice. And if you don't want ANY "tangy" flavor at all, you can use milk.

Shark meat is a very firm, low fat, white meaty flesh. Very similar to boneless skinless chicken breast. And you need to cook it the same. It dries out very easily because of the low fat content, and one way is to cut into nuggets and breaded and deepfry. Comes out just like chicken nuggets. At least a few dozen kids have gorged themselves on them with either ranch, bbq, sweet and sour, honey mustard, etc., and loved them. All my nieces and nephews beg me to pull some out of the freezer and make them when they come over. For adults, spicy peanut tia sauce rocks to dip them in.

Do you eat shark-nuggets-jpg

If you grill steaks, then the oil in the itailian dressing will seal them and keep them moiust, and it doesn't hurt to brush more on while there grilling. Also taste great wrapped in bacon and put some skewers thru it to hold the bacon in place while grilling. (what doesn't taste good wrapped in bacon?)

Ttry adding a little worchester and a touch of soy to the salad dressing. Also Chipoltle Tabasco sause in the marinade. And you can't marinade it too long. Being the same consistency as chicken breast, it is a very dense firm meat.

If you got an indirect smoker/grill, and smoke it, it makes an AWESOME smoked shark dip. Use it instead of tuna or makeral. Brought some to a party at either Lanes or OldFlatHeads, and it was gone in an instant.

Cook thouroughly like pork or chicken, they are nothing like tuna.

And What Kane said about state waters just got passed last fall. There is a size limit, forgot what it is, look it up online. But federal waters, no size limit.

You will first need to gut and bleed it. To do that, cut it from it's pee hole to it's throat, and then a cross cut across at both ends of the cut, at it's tail and throat. The sooner you do this after catching, the better. After you cut it open, pull out all the guts. You'll have to cut the guts at both ends, and up by the throat is pretty slippery and tough (on larger ones). Then along it's back bone (actually not a bone, sharks have no bone, all cartilage) you will see a "pocket" running the entire length reddish in color. Cut it open all the way from end to end, and the coagulated blood/spinal fluid will start to fall out. Run your hand through there and scrape it out, and flush it all with plenty of water, the whole cavity too.

If you are in a boat on the water, this is as far as you can go. It is illegal to remove any fin or tail until your off the water. You can take a bag (or bags for larger) of ice and stuff it in his body cavity to keep it cool.

Cleaning is a pain. There skin will do to your knife what 80 grit sandpaper epoxied to a 1/4" thick piece of leather would do if you cut through it...destroy it. I have several knives that the blade is only half as tall as original from it wearing them down and resharpening. Best route for cleaning is to get a Dexter Russel serrated knife for the cuts through the skin. Lop the tail, head, and fins off.

Then you can either section it into 8" "steaks" that would be horseshoe shaped, or into long slabs by cutting it into sections lengthwise, whatever you find works better. Do all this with that serrated knife. And not a serrated kitchen knife, a Dexter Russel. It has points on it that one slip will take your finger to the bone, and even partway thru that. When you get one you'll see. Good thing about em is when those serrates get warn down bad (after about 3 large sharks) you can take them to the corner of a grinder wheel, and "re-serrate" them just by hitting each of the dips in the serrate on that corner.

After that, use a large fillet knife and skin the meat from the skin. Cut high enough off the skin so as not to get any red meat. Then do a little trimming to cut off any red meat, and you are left with a buttload of beautiful white meat. Vacuum seal what your not going to use. keeps great in teh freezer.

A hint, when cutting your meat into steaks, loin roast...etc, cut it so you are cross-cutting the grain of the meat. Same as you do with beef. If you cut with the grain of beef, you have long tough "strands" of meat. Cutting across the grain makes it tender by your steak being made up of a bunch of short strands of muscle tissue. Plus marinades will soak in faster and better.

As far as the jaws, it's a time consuming pain. Don't boil, and don't even soak in water for a week. It's all cartlidge, and the teeth will just fall out. Realator and Hired hand on here are bad ass at catching sharks, and have done some large jaws, and they will hopefully chime in. basically it's lot's of beer, time, and work with an exacto knifie trimming all flesh off. Gavin (The Maintenance Shoppe) took the set from the tiger we caught few months ago at the last shark tourney, and put it on an ant pile with a bucket and concrete block on it. I'm curious to see if they wreck it.

And last question. Yes yes yes. They will bite you, 2 hours after you took them out of the water, beat them in the head, empty a clip of hollow points, etc. etc. Like a chicken with htere head cut off, there nerves can still fire off long after dead, even gutted. And I guess a shark is hardwired to open his jaws, twist around sideways, and snap his jaws shut.

After this one got some of this...

Do you eat shark-impact-jpg

And after it had been out of the water for a long time and everybody got on it for a pic, right after this pic was taken...

Do you eat shark-pose-jpg

I got on it with the girl I was with at the time and it folded in half whipping it's head wround and alost got it snapping it's jaws and we had to jump up on the gunnels while it twisted and rolled over thrashing about 4 times!

Couple other tips. Never hold a big one up like this for a picture without a long sleeve shirt on This was me and Josh (Fender bender) about 6 years ago

Do you eat shark-scrape-jpg

It scraped the skin off the inside of my arm and looked exactly like road rash and I the whole thing was a giant scab for about 2 weeks.

Also,therre skin abrasians all point backwards, and you can rub againts them one way and it's smooth, but the other direction is rough. If you try pulling them in a boat, it is nearly impossible to pull them in backwards if there rubbing againts the boat, and tou have to pull them in forward, wich is always exiting! Ha ha

Name:  in boat.jpg
Views: 7121
Size:  9.4 KB

I know this was a long response, but you had a lot of questions, and when I moved here 7 years ago from Detroit I had all teh same questions, and Karon (Coryphena) set me straight with a bunch of knowledge about the marinating, identity, ect., and still is my go to person for info (She's a marine biologist!)

If you like catching em, you should think about getting in the next Shark Tournament we have. We do it twice a year, and it's a fun friendly event, not hardcore competitive. Winner take all, and we all have a blast out there on Fort Mccree. About an extra 40 or so people show up to camp and join the fun tooo. Everybody is welcome. Here's a link to a previous one. I'll be getting the dates together soon for our spring one, we always do it on a full moon weekend.
https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...er-19th-76294/
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Grouper

Don't ask Clay what he thinks cause he will tell ya
Good info Clay I think you covered the whole realm
of sharkin in a capsule...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in