Casting large spinning reels - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris V

Old 11-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Casting large spinning reels

I've never tried to cast a large spinner, but was curious if anybody here has and how it compared distance wise to a smaller one? I saw the penn 10500s are on sale and got me thinking if anyone uses for chunking from the shore or just drop line off a boat/pier/bridge. Thanks
Uncledude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Unless you're fishing for sharks I would go smaller. A 6500 or 7500 is as big as you'll need for pompano, whiting, and redfish.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

I'm not fishing sharks. Just curious about how good or not good distance wise with something that big. I tried googling it but only saw recommendations to not try and cast but saw no actual testimony.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #4
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledude View Post
I'm not fishing sharks. Just curious about how good or not good distance wise with something that big. I tried googling it but only saw recommendations to not try and cast but saw no actual testimony.
If you're wanting to edge out a little more line, look at long cast model reels from Penn, Daiwa, etc. I have several of the Penn LC reels, both Spinfisher and Conflict and I definitely see a difference in my casting distances.

Regardless of whether it's a long cast model or not, when you get into the larger sizes of spinners for surf fishing, you end up losing a lot of the energy in your cast just handling the cumbersome rod and reel. Gotta find the balance.
THE POMPANO KING likes this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I guess I should have clarified not looking for recommendation or advice. Just looking for large spinning casting stories. Fishing story on a fishing forum. I guess it's a little rare to see a large spinner like that. I imagine most are impulse buy and collect dust in the garage.
At least I didn't ask if you can cast penn senator 117. What is that size called anyways? 16/0 18/0 or what? I guess I could just Google it. Thanks all
Old 11-04-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Sailfish

Its the rod that makes the long cast,not the reel....Before powerpro I fished with a 11ft 7 inch custom fenwick rod that I had built....If a cobia swam by the pier too far away for most people to reach..I was able to throw to it and some of the time it would be hungry....
Also,when fishing off the beach the taller rod keeps the line above the surf....
If you buy a long rod,then a large reel helps balance the weight....
fishing story and advise all-in-one....tight lines
fairpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in