Casting Distance... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Casting Distance...

I have a general question about casting distance. I recently purchased a Penn Rod/Reel Combo and I'm afraid I made a mistake on the road lenght. I got an 8 foot rod which didn't seem to cast nearly as far as I was anticipating. I use mono (usually either 17 lb or 20 lb test) on both my spinning reels and typically either a 3 oz. or 4 oz. pyramid sinker (or a 2 oz. if no waves) I'm wondering if rod length or line type makes more of a difference in casting distance. Is there a benefit to having a longer rod size?

I likely will end up geting a new rod anyway. What length/action should I focus on if only casting from the beach and using just a rig with a pyramid sinker. (Just fishing for anything that will bite.)

Thanks for any tips.

-Rob

Last edited by rshoemaker04; 03-11-2015 at 02:07 PM.
rshoemaker04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
Grand Slam

There are members on here that have boasted they can cast over 300 yards.

Maybe they will chime here, and provide some insight to your question.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Trigger

I am no guru, but ill share my thoughts. Rod length and "action" certainly make a difference. Line choice also plays a role, but casting technique plays the biggest role to me. I personally like a 9' rod, but that's just my preference. I have several different surf rods for throwing different sized weights. I have a very light 9' rod only capable of throwing 1 oz for those slick days. It will cast a country mile and yet its super limber to give my bait good action in the light current. I have a stiff rod to sling 4-5 oz on those rough days that i insist on fishing.... I have found that the red fish bite good in the rough surf. I have rods in the middle of those two also. The action of the rod should be matched for what weight you plan to sling. You want to be able to load the rod properly when making a cast. There is no perfect rod IMO to cast every category of weight, but you can certainlyl compromise in areas if you want to only have one or two surf rods for now.

As far as line, I only use braid for the surf. I like how good it cuts the wind compared to mono, and it definitely casts further. I use power pro for surf fishing, but Jerry Brown solid core makes a heck of a good braid if you can validate the cost for surf fishing.

The reel makes a difference also, but that's a whole different can of worms.... If you start to get super serious then you can explore those options. Bait casters vs spinning reels, and then the list of options for each style can go on for a while. We can just skip this portion for now to stay on track.

Casting technique is a big factor that requires alot of practice to get right.... And there are so many techniques to use. I have a friend who is really big into Pendulum casting, and he can cast well over 100 yards with minimal effort, and further when he really wants to get the bait out there. I have not perfected this method yet, but I am working on it. Rod choice is pretty critical for this type of casting, but a bit of research can steer you in the right direction. Find what technique you like and then practice it over and over. With braid, I find that it helps to put a "shock" leader on the end of my braid. I wrap a few times around the spool, let the line come down the length of my rod, and a foot or less out of the last guide.... This mono shock leader really helps your pointer finger when trying to give it all you have got power wise. Some guys even wear a rubber type "condom" on their finger to protect it. This is just a starting point to get your wheels spinning and prompt more questions to get you headed in the right direction. Most of all just have fun. It can be a complicated as a golf swing, or as simple and stress free as you want. Catch em up and we are all here to help each other out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
Sailfish

Well I certainly cannot cast 300 yards!!!! But several things can affect casting distance including rod length and action, line type, diameter of spinning reel and of course weight of terminal tackle. I think 8' is on the short side for most surf rods and I prefer 10' as a minimum and I rarely use less than 3 oz weight. If you can get out 100 yds you should be ok as long as you put the bait in a gut or a rip
rshoemaker04 likes this.
TeaSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Mingo

there are NO members...or anyone alive who can cast 300 yds, the record cast is around 850ft and that's with tournament weights and gear...so yeah that's an extreme exaggeration, the actual distance the average caster can throw is between 100 nand 150yds

actual world record cast is 915ft now, the record was broken, but still proves my point that without tournament gear getting anywhere near 300yds for even the saltiest fisherman is an exaggeration
UncleMilty7 likes this.

Last edited by sling2ling; 03-11-2015 at 03:35 PM.
sling2ling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtallluke View Post
I am no guru,
Well... certainly sound like a guru to me. Last trip I made to Santa Rosa beach (stay at Adagio condos) I put braid on a small spinning rod I took down to do some casting with a spoon type bait. I was shocked how far I could throw that with a decent sized spoon/jig compared to the big surf rods. I think I will spool braid onto the surf spools before my next trip in late September. I also think that the problem may be the rod size. I feel like I can throw a little farther with the 8 1/2 foot rod I have so I'm wondering if I get a 9 foot or even 10 foot how much better I would do with that. I will start looking for something in that range (Probably don't want to spend more than $100 on it.) I think my only fear with using braid is getting a good knot on their with the shock leader so I don't lose the entire rig the first cast. I'll have to look for some good knot tying links on the site. Thanks for all the tips. You sound like a great person to teach others.

-Rob
Old 03-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sling2ling View Post
there are NO members...or anyone alive who can cast 300 yds, the record cast is around 850ft and that's with tournament weights and gear...so yeah that's an extreme exaggeration, the actual distance the average caster can throw is between 100 nand 150yds
Yeah, I would guess most of my casts are well below 100 yards. Sounds like it is time for some equipment upgrades.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
Trigger

It's funny seeing the comments about 300 yard casts, especially seeing the world record competitive cast is 915 feet, with some non-competitive casts being in the 1000 feet range.
MrFish49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
IT'S ALL GOOD !
Sailfish

I think that thinner line will give you much more distance. try going to braid, or down to about 12 lb test. Make sure your spool is full, that helps too.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:39 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFish49 View Post
It's funny seeing the comments about 300 yard casts, .
This was a fun thread subject some years ago, that I remember reading.

NOT participating in.

It might have involved some pier fishermen verses cobia hunters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in