Brand new fisherman - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By JT86907
  • 1 Post By Simply Sweet

Old 05-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Brand new fisherman

I have always (for the majority of my 33 years) been a fresh water fisherman. I love to bass/crappie/bream fish. I was sitting in my office (I'm an accountant) a few weeks ago and a co-worker stopped by to tell me about his vacation that he had just got back from.

He went down into the Destin area and he mentioned that he took his rod but didn't have a chance to throw it out. I starting asking him what he was fishing for and he told me pompano. He said all you have to do is wade out from the beach and throw it out and you can catch them.

I was instantly fascinated. I have never once fished from the beach and have only twice fished off a boat in saltwater (with no luck). So I started doing some research. I found this site and also fishingdestinguide.com and watched a ton of youtube videos on the subject.

I decided that if he could do it, then so could I. I pulled up google earth and started looking for spots on the coast that I thought would be a good spot to go and concluded that I would trek down to Mexico Beach (Crooked Island Beach) and try this so called surf fishing two weekends ago. I went to the bass pro here in Prattville and bought two rods (one for my girlfriend and one for me), some pompano rigs, some sinkers and two sand spikes.

I was off. We got to the beach about 8am after making the two hour drive down from Dothan and stopping at the marina to buy some live shrimp. I bought a sand flea rake but knew I would be horrible at catching them (youtube can only teach you so much). I found us a good spot away from the other fishermen and set up.

The surf was pretty rough and the wind howled all day. However, my girlfriend and I both caught our very first pompano. We ended up taking four home in the cooler and cooked up them up later that night. We also caught many catfish as well as some lady fish and a few whiting.

I can honestly say that I'm addicted now. In fact, over Memorial Day weekend we ventured out to Grayton Beach but the June grass was so bad that I gave it up after catching a few cats and lady fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new fisherman-img_2363-jpg   Brand new fisherman-img_2362-jpg   Brand new fisherman-img_2370-jpg   Brand new fisherman-img_2376-jpg  
BananaTom and yukondog like this.

Last edited by JT86907; 05-29-2015 at 03:45 PM.
JT86907 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Snapper Bait
Ruby Red Lip

Congrats! I was going to say it but you already knew... Fishing addiction! Have fun and it never loses the exciting feeling of reeling in a big fish! Great pics!
BananaTom likes this.
Simply Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2015, 06:34 PM   #3
White Marlin

Surf fishing is one of my favorites too.
stc1993 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
White Marlin

Man! What a small world! I live in Montgomery and fish Mexico beach for the past 15years or so. I was at Seagrove/Seaside (next to Grayton) over Memorial day weekend. haha And my wife is an accountant.

If you need any help with pomp fishing or tips on Mexico Beach area, let me know.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in