Braid to Fluoro Leader - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 09-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Braid to Fluoro Leader

What is the best knot to connect the two? I have not had very good luck with this knot holding on my surf fishing vacations this year. The only times it has held was when I purchased new reels from Chris V and he put line on and tied the leader. I found an article on Salt Strong comparing various knots and the winner was the FG knot. I felt like I've tied it exactly how the video describes, but I've lost 3 Unfair lures that just kept on going when I cast. It was obvious in each that it was the line to leader knot that eventually slipped out. ...and I'm not talking about after days of fishing. This usually happens after 20 or 30 casts. I'll catch fish but nothing that should weaken the knot that much. Finally I would just tie a triple surgeons knot and move on. The next day, back to the FG knot because I'm stubborn and feel like it should work, off goes a $10 lure, back to the tackle shop to buy new lures, and repeat.
weaver9710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Grand Slam

uni to uni....
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

I like the FG knot. Practice tying it and then pulling on it.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
Trigger

Trick to the FG , after your wraps, 2 half hitches tighten, tighten, tighten then I usually throw a double half hitch, tighten, tighten....then and only then cut your tags. That's usually the culprit. Then I throw a double half over to cover the floro tab a bit. This knot has knot failed me yet. Good luck, give a shot in the yard with a cheap lure.
Brads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #5
Sailfish

Albright is very simple to tie on or off the water and very strong. I use 9 wraps and have had no issues with it. Very compact(casts through size 4 micros with 30lb braid/18lb fluoro) and has very good straight strength. FG is a great knot but has to be tied exactly right, and tightened as tight as you can get. Have seen way to many failures with that knot compared to the Albright. Never personally used it since the Albright works so well.
Jeffbro999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

It sounds like my problem is that I'm not tightening it enough. It's good to hear that others are having success with it. I'll try it again but if it fails I'll go to one of the others suggested. Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Grouper

I had a few slips early on, but found this video really helped. Haven't had anymore failures.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...LePAxr_PHLRGmw
MaxP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Grouper

Don't use too much tension on your braid or the wraps will pile up on themselves. Also, make sure your two securing half-hitches go around both the leader and braided mainline, then tighten.
MaxP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

That's the original video that I was using. After posting I did a few google searches and found this video....

http://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fg-knot-mistake/

I guess I'm not the only one who has had problems. I'll give it one more try on my next trip.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
Mingo

I have heard that FG knot is great, haven't used it yet. I gave up the Albright special for the stronger uni to uni. Haven't had any problems with it until this morning when I popped two leaders off on what I think were huge Jack Crevalle.
The Real Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in