Best Surf Fishing Reels - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree6Likes

Old 05-06-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Best Surf Fishing Reels

This is the first year I've really been hardcore into surf fishing. After every outing I thoroughly wash/clean my reels with fresh water but I'm still having a heck of a time keeping them serviceable. One reel, a "Star", has already gone to Davy Jones Locker. I'm targeting pompano, whiting, flounder and like species. What reels do y'all recommend that are good in the salt? Thanks a bunch!!!!
Fishing_Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Trigger

I am far from being a seasoned surf fisherman but I have gotten good service from Shimano and Penn reels. In fact, I have a relatively cheap Shimano Sedona ($55-$60) that I have used for several years in the bay and surf and it has never even had a hiccup .
I do thoroughly rinse all my gear with fresh water ASAP after fishing in the salt.
Rightbrained is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #3
Mingo

Spinners or conventional? Both made by Akios and I highly recommend their products. Here is their website. I haven't bought or used their spinner, but if it is like their conventional reels it should be excellent. A lot of commercial pompano fishermen use Mitchell 498s with manual pickups and they last for decades. Now they are not submerging these reels; I assume you are not.
I use Salt-x or any of the salt-fighting products to clean up. Just hot soapy water will do the trick. No point in using high-pressure water either. Just dunk your reels in soapy water and spray lightly and air dry. I clean my reels internally a couple times of years. No problems. Do the same with your rods. Many use furniture polish on their rods to give a layer of protection. I'm sure others will chime in with their secrets, too.? Here is the Akios site:
Check on Florida Surf Caster's Website and look at the sponsors section and
you'll see the Akios section and also some of the rod makers who are sponsors. I use custom 13' rods and AFAW and a variety of others. Any of those are great for pompano, red-fishing. Most commercial guys only target pompano where the money is. Don't care about sharks or other species.

http://akiosfishingtackle.com/
NoMoSurf likes this.
Capt. Mako is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the replies guys. That's why I love this forum so much. I spoke to a guy fishing Ft. Morgan last Sunday who was from Mississippi and recommended this site to him to keep up with reports and such. Really nice guy who was a pretty good pomp fisher from what I've seen. But anyway, I prefer spinning reels for everything except freshwater. I will check into the site and thanks again!!
Rightbrained likes this.
Fishing_Fool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
White Marlin

Yep, pretty much what Capt Mako said. I don't know about the Akios reels. I've never heard of them. But everything else was spot on. I rinse my warm rinse mine daily and use Ardent Reel Guard on mine. My fishing partner uses SaltAway on his.

Before every trip to the coast, mine get a good cleaning with a spray cleaner with carnuba wax and I wax the rods and eyes with car wax. They get rinsed daily while there. And upon returning home, They get a complete teardown and service.

I use the following:
1 vintage Mitchell 302 (customized inside and out)
1 vintage Mitchell 402 (customized inside and out)
2 Pfleuger President 5000's (5000 and larger are saltwater rated with S/S internals)
1 Penn Fierce 5000 (my wife bought it for me for Christmas and it has turned out to be a surprisingly robust reel)

The Mitchells are 30-40 years old, the Presidents are 6-7, and the Fierce is 3 now. All still work flawlessly with no corrosion.
Kim likes this.

Last edited by NoMoSurf; 05-07-2015 at 11:18 PM.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #6
Kiss My
Mingo

Penn SSV 7500 LC had it about a year. Had it gone through by Ocean Master when I got it. Have been very pleased.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #7
Mingo

No pro here by any means (and there are some really super surf fishermen who post here), but what Capt. said about the 498's, with mpu = will last for decades - and longer. But they are old school and sometimes hard to find. Some folks think that their gears and guts are inferior to the 302s / 402s; I respectfully disagree.

I also fish 302s and 402s in the surf, and have since the early 1960's. I also use fiberglass rods. IMO, they are overkill for pomps, but hey, getting 'em to the beach and into the cooler by any means, works.

Everybody has their preferences, and for the Penn crowd, somebody said they are making their 704s and some other surf reels in Penn, again, and are selling for a reasonable price for a sturdy, USA made reel ($200 or so). I have an older version of one of them as well, and it is rock solid. If you just want to impress the fish, they do have a line of USA spinning reels for about $700.00.

http://www.pennfishing.com/PENN%C2%A...d.html#start=1

Anyway, that's some older guy's preferences for how it used to be done and can still be done. You might like the new stuff, though, so somebody else will have to opine about that.
NoMoSurf and Ocean Master like this.

Last edited by Lawdog88; 05-09-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Spell check
Lawdog88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2015, 09:37 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I used Penn reels for years and had good luck with them but I have switched almost all the way to Alvey reels because of the easy maintenance and the huge line capacity. They are built in Australia and sold by a few people here in the states. Try https://fishingreels.me/surf-fishing-reels/ to look them over.
NC Surf fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2015, 05:45 AM   #9
Cigar Minnow

I recommend that you select a long casting reel, make sure it says it is designed for saltwater use, and don't dunk it. You don't have to wash it down after every trip, but keep a close eye on the line roller.
Fishin Mortician is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2015, 07:44 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

I really like my Tica Scepter GX 10000 for hurling bait and a weight out there. It has a long cast spool and 45" retrieve rate which makes bait fishing a breeze. I have it on a 12' fiberglass surf rod and can cast it past the first bar from shore using an off the ground cast, which is easy to learn. I've not had any problems with it and have used it a lot this season. I just rinse it off when I'm done.

For lures I like my Penn SSV, though the retrieve rate could be better! I went with them because my reels gets hit by waves when I'm casting lures on the bar. It just happens.
engulfed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in