Best option for Pompano for my vacation - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree6Likes

Old 02-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Best option for Pompano for my vacation

I am a meteorologist for NOAA National Weather Service in Dodge City, KS. My second calling besides storm chasing is fishing. I am planning a trip for Pompano/Whiting fishing and perhaps Mackerel too in spring 2018. But I really just want to catch a few pompano to cook in the condo while we are on vacation. I prefer fresh fish, not frozen and I don't usually take fish home with me because I have found that they end up going to waste because they don't keep very long and they aren't that good after being in the freezer anyway. I would like to come down for 2 weeks. It looks like based on your reports that the best time is March 25 to May 15. I am thinking some time in April before the June grass sets in. If you had to choose a 2 week period what would it be?

Also, I need to decide whether to base out of the Pensacola-Navarre area or Gulf Shores-Orange Beach area. If I pick the west option I can sample the coast from Perdido Key to Fort Morgan from day to day and if I pick the east option I can scout from Fort Pickens to Destin. Which option would you choose? I want to hit the beaches and the piers. I want to use bottom rigs in the surf and silly willy jigs tied in a extra large loop knot with teaser on the piers.

Jonathan
evacuee likes this.

Last edited by hugehail; 02-21-2017 at 03:47 PM.
hugehail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Grouper

You'll have better luck getting fishing info if you don't say you work for NOAA, just saying.��

Check with Dustin at Top Gun Bait and Tackle in Orange Beach, he does a lot of surf fishing
flipper1 likes this.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Well without NOAA you wouldn't have radar or satellite data or ocean temperature data. And you also wouldn't have watches and warnings.
I guarantee you that the private sector won't pay billions to keep up these data networks that people use every day, whether they know it or not. Just sayin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
You'll have better luck getting fishing info if you don't say you work for NOAA, just saying.��

Check with Dustin at Top Gun Bait and Tackle in Orange Beach, he does a lot of surf fishing
Pier#r likes this.

Last edited by hugehail; 02-21-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post

I will contact them. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by hugehail; 02-21-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Well it would all be guess work at this point. Heavy rains , late cold fronts, early warm weather. ....all of these could dramatically alter the prime time. Play it safe and go in the middle of the time frame mentioned above. East or west ? Make that decision based upon whatever else you wish to do while you are here. East will probably give you a greater chance of having cleaner water ,also it will give you two gulf piers to choose from. But hopefully East And West will both be good.
evacuee likes this.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPERKING View Post
Well it would all be guess work at this point. Heavy rains , late cold fronts, early warm weather. ....all of these could dramatically alter the prime time. Play it safe and go in the middle of the time frame mentioned above. East or west ? Make that decision based upon whatever else you wish to do while you are here. East will probably give you a greater chance of having cleaner water ,also it will give you two gulf piers to choose from. But hopefully East And West will both be good.
Thanks for the advice. Ive got a while to make up my mind.

Last edited by hugehail; 02-22-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:24 AM   #7
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
Grouper

Welcome "hugehail".
I was a Geography major in college (UofSA), so I have a LOT of respect for the work done by NOAA employees

Compared to the ocean you will be able to get by with lighter tackle (both rod&reel and terminal).
Most of the time the Gulf is not nearly as rough as the Atlantic and the beach profile can be a bit steeper in places.

Mid-April is hard to beat for pompano here in Alabama, maybe a week or so earlier in the Panhandle.

2018 is a long way off so you have plenty of time to decide ;-)

BTW, the young fellow @ Top Gunn in OBch is Dusty Hayes.
Pier#r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2017, 02:01 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the kind words and fishing advice. Ive fished the Atlantic
since the late 70s as a child (mainly Nags Head, NC). Last year I scouted the east coast of FL. Now I want to also try the Gulf Coast. I like to try new things. I also have a niece who goes to college at Pensacola Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier#r View Post
Welcome "hugehail".
I was a Geography major in college (UofSA), so I have a LOT of respect for the work done by NOAA employees

Compared to the ocean you will be able to get by with lighter tackle (both rod&reel and terminal).
Most of the time the Gulf is not nearly as rough as the Atlantic and the beach profile can be a bit steeper in places.

Mid-April is hard to beat for pompano here in Alabama, maybe a week or so earlier in the Panhandle.

2018 is a long way off so you have plenty of time to decide ;-)

BTW, the young fellow @ Top Gunn in OBch is Dusty Hayes.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Snapper

I always use tax day (April 15) as a general rule of thumb when the pompano run and the other fish start showing up in force. Of course it varies every year but I would think April would be the best month. Looking for a water temp of 70 (+/-) Good site to watch is the Okaloosa pier site and you can see when the pompano are out and what other fish are hitting. (http://okaloosaislandpier.blogspot.com/)March is too early sometimes plus you are in the middle of Spring Break. Check to see when Spring Break is finished, I think usually after the first week in April.

I think the area between Pensacola and Navarre is some of the prettiest there is but access is limited due you have to park in designated parking areas. Perdido is nice too but has been years since I have been there.

Not sure of Alabama surf fishing rules but Florida does require a shore fishing license (Check FWC) I have never been checked on the beach.

Good luck
Sailor50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
Grand Slam

The Pompano and Spanish Mackeral are showing up now.
In Feb, go figure.

I bet the Cobia Migration will start soon also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in