Alvey surf casting reels - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lowprofile
  • 1 Post By Guynamedtom

Old 01-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Alvey surf casting reels

Anyone in the panhandle use one? I am wanting some opinions. Reading a lot about line twist issues which makes sense based on the way line peels off the reel on cast. I may pick one up off ebay but looking for opinions from those that use them.
Guynamedtom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
White Marlin

Never used one or even seen one but since they were so popular in Australia, you should check some of their surfcasting forums to see what they say. From what I can gather, you need a rod that is built for and matched to the reel to 'knock down' the big loops coming off. You need great swivels because of potential line twist problems but on the positive side they cast a long, long way and are supposed to be indestructible.

http://www.australiansurfcastingfede...t=Alvey#p10771
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
Trigger

Thanks slim. I've been reading a good bit about them. Hoping someone local has one and is willing to let me see it in action. The line twisting seems to be hard to completely overcome according to what I read on the Internet and you always should believe anything you read on the net 😜
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Grouper

the other thing about the alvey is that they need to be used low reel. the reel will be in your left hand, the rod will will have 6 to 10" butt assuming you are right handed. can be very awkward fighting a fish. Years ago I spent some time fishing with a man from australia ,he always had an alvey set up with him,but I never saw him use it. he could cast over the horizon with a diawa SLH 20. Asked him once why he never used the alvey, didn't get a straight answer, he mumbled something about hard to use.
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
The Tourist
Sailfish

In the late 90's and early 2000's they caught on due to the need/want to put baits further out and the lack if big spinners and abundance of men not able to cast a 4/0 size reel. Most of the manageable size bait casters didn't last long on the beach so Alveys were gaining popularity. Then came daiwa and the slosh. Around 2005 the slosh was the surf casting reel and very few people inquired about Alveys. Now we have 100 different reels to choose from, both spinning and conventional, that are able to get baits past the breakers and balance out well on carbon rods.

If you want something different that is capable of catching fish then get an Alvey. But you won't gain anything from the setup vs another surf rod/reel for the same money.
Pompano Joe likes this.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
If you want something different that is capable of catching fish then get an Alvey. But you won't gain anything from the setup vs another surf rod/reel for the same money.
It's more about curiosity, fact it's indestructible, and the line capacity. Not to mention yoking a shark to the beach with this winch would be a good time. I jut want to cast one a few times without forking out the 100-150 bucks to see what it's all about
lowprofile likes this.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
The Tourist
Sailfish

Maybe PM some of these guys and see if they have them still?

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...em-here-83012/
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #8
Sailfish

Smart move casting before you buy, Tom. I think you'll be disappointed after the novelty wears off.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in