***HELP*** Surf Fishing Newb - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default ***HELP*** Surf Fishing Newb

Like the title says...Im a beginner to surf fishing...as in never done it before. I'll be in Pensecola towards the end of May.

My general questions are:

-What type of fish are more prominent (dont judge my spelling) during that time of month?

-What type of leader rigs should I use?

-^^Same questions apply towards surf fishing at night.

-What's the best type of bait?

As you can see I can really use some help so please...dont come to this thrad and start flaming. I really just want some help. Ive never really tried to surf fish. I am a freshwater angler however so im not completely blind here.

Thanks in advance for any input thats given!!!
kwright87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Snapper

Types of fish: Ladyfish, bluefish, reds, black drums, pompano, sharks and ALOT of catfish...
Leaders: At night i would use a cable leader for the simple reason of sharks, during the day i use pompano rigs and mono double drop rigs (all can be found at any local tackle shop) i use 2/0 circle hooks and the pomp and double drop rigs.. and at night 7/0-12/0 circle hooks to try and avoid the catfish.
Bait: At night any type of cut fish should do, i prefer mullet because it stays on the hook well, and the good old fresh dead shrimp. During the day i still use the fresh dead shrimp, and sandfleas. But all of the fish listed above will bite the shrimp.
Good luck, and are you already set up with a surf setup???
penn 10/0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Grouper

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ad-surf-65252/
FUPAGUNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn 10/0 View Post
Types of fish: Ladyfish, bluefish, reds, black drums, pompano, sharks and ALOT of catfish...
Leaders: At night i would use a cable leader for the simple reason of sharks, during the day i use pompano rigs and mono double drop rigs (all can be found at any local tackle shop) i use 2/0 circle hooks and the pomp and double drop rigs.. and at night 7/0-12/0 circle hooks to try and avoid the catfish.
Bait: At night any type of cut fish should do, i prefer mullet because it stays on the hook well, and the good old fresh dead shrimp. During the day i still use the fresh dead shrimp, and sandfleas. But all of the fish listed above will bite the shrimp.

Do you use 2/0 circle hooks or #2 circle hooks ? Big difference. I use #2 but would be interested in knowing if 2/0 works on pomps.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

I use 3/0 light wire circle hooks
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Snapper

I use 2/0 1x strong circle hooks on almost all light mono right up to 50 lb test... started this after something straitened out one of my 2/0 fine wire hooks, i thing it was a huge drum but ill never really know (this was on a double drop rig 50 lb. mono i believe) but yes all the big pomps i have landed were on these setups. (Biggest was 22'')
Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Grand Slam

That's good to know. I thought 2/0 would be too big. Thanks.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn 10/0 View Post
Thanks so much for the help. No i havent gotten my setup yet but ive been doing my research and i have my eye on some things...a few more questions if you dont mind:

-what is a good amount of poles to have out (more in the day and less at night?)

-Do i need to waste my time on anything other than cut bait or shrimp? (plastics)

-What is a good weight line to use? (can i use the same for the day that i do at night incase of sharks?)

sorry for all the questions but i want to have as much knowledge as possible before i get down there
kwright87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
Snapper

Not a problem at all, im glad to share info. if i am by myself i usually only have 2 poles out (if a school of fish comes in i don't want to be overwhelmed) that is for day and night unless i am shark fishing then i have the big setup and the two surf setups... i also keep a small rig for casting lures into schools of fish that come by (spanish macks, jack crevalle, bonita any of these). Alot of people differ on the line, most surf fishermen use 15-20lb mono, but i like to fight fish hard and not have my line break so on both of my setups i use 40lb braid but most think this is overkill unless shark fishing specifically, which i do in the warmer months... As for lures you can use them very sucessfully if sight fishing, pompano jigs are great, so are gotchas, and spoons. If you use braid you can pack a ton of line on most reels, i would be confident landing a 6ft shark on either of my surf setups with braid, with mono it can be done but i would guess if you used 20lb mono (250-300yds) a 4-5 footer wouldn't be out of the question. the main thing to change if going after sharks is the leader, most say use a leader a foot longer than the sharks you are trying to catch. but for surf fishing in general you don't need a 5 or 6 ft leader, would look kinda funny don't ya think, even though i caught my biggest red ever on a shark setup with a 9 ft leader . lol
Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

penn 10/0: Any reason you shark fish specifically during the warmer months? Do they come closer to shore in June/July/August?
yenzie35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in