Upper Escambia River Report- First Post - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Upper Escambia River Report- First Post

1/18/09-

This is my first post on the forum but I wanted to give a brief report of a short trip (2 hr) up near Benny Bayou and Noriegas Island areas. Put in at the private boat launch off Hwy 90 towards Pace around 11:00 am. I don't know what the launch is called.

The tide was out-going, strong current. Water looked pretty dirty so I used a chartreuse jig head and and the atomic chicken gulp shrimp in 3". Since I dont know the area, my strategy was to work the water column, work a lot of shoreline, and hopefully find some fish and find patterns.

Headed up-river (maybe a mile) and fished some deep holes (20 ft or so) and drop-offs with 1/8 oz jigheads and gulp shrimp in atomic chicken and new-penny, 15lb braid, flouro-leaders, Cabo 30 reels, Cabo 7ft ML rods.

Saw a few hunters. No fish activity.

Worked several areas of shoreline down towards the 90 bridge and still nothing.

As we got to the 90 bridge (right next to the launch) I caught a small red on some structure.

We then headed up out into escambia bay and headed up the escambia river. Worked a bunch of docks and structure with no success. Saw a beautiful bald eagle nest over in that region though.

Headed back to the boat launch and fished around the 90 bridge. Picked up a 12" Flounder and another short red, all on the Atomic Chicken color. Back to the ramp at 1 30 or so.

All in all, a slow day fishing wise. I am really not sure how good the fishing has been in that area. First time fishing the area. All the spots I chose were based on theory of finding some drop offs and structure with moving water. Dirty water and wind made fishing the shallows difficult.

I know that I could do better catching wise if we picked other spots but specifically targeted that area and only wanted to use artificial lures. Probably would have hit the Mulat bayou if not so windy in crossing bay. Learned alot but didn't catch much. That is fine with me.

Any advice or pointers for fishing that area would be appreciated. All fish released.

John

jervin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Upper Escambia River Report- First Post

things will pick up in the spring, die off in summer, and then pick back up in the fall.

several of us on the forum fish that area a lot, so watch for reports.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Sailfish

Conditions in that area are not good right now; some very low tides, muddy water, and some realcold nights. Things will change when the water clears a little and temps begin to rise. In the meantime, it's going to be tough fishing.

In the past I've seen some guys slowtrolling some of those lower riverfingers South of the bridge for Specs with mirror lures, or lip lures,not my kind of fishing, but you might give it try.

Good Luck
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

It sounds like you put in at "Jim's Landing". Thats where I put in when I'm not fishing the Bay. Really nice people there. Welcome to the Forum ! :clap

Just remember; We like a lot of Pictures! :takephoto

FlatWaterBandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Trigger

First off, Welcome to the forum. Good detailed post. Slow days, but you can almost always learn something each time you go out. Thanks for posting your report. There is a wealth of information on the forum, any questions will usually be answered here by either Professional fisherman or amaturs like methat just like to get out on the water and try our luck. Good luck and keep the reports coming.
Doogiesar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.

Welcome.
Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Grouper

Welcome to the forum....Like the other guys said, alot of us fish that area in the more productive seasons. Right now the speck bite isnt bad around that 90 bridge by Jims fish camp. Gotta be there at sunrise though, and through that Gulp! into the weeds. Good luck on your next outting.
roofordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in