Tip of the week- when you run out of live shrimp - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 06-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Tip of the week- when you run out of live shrimp

A buddy of mine got a tip from some guys in Texas that we tried out yesterday. This time of year you always run into the dilemma of how much live shrimp should you buy or catch. The water is so hot it seems like you have a catch 22 situation where as if you get too much live shrimp it dies much faster and when you don’t have a lot it seems like you always run into these great schools of trout that we had nothing but live shrimp. Often times the only reason I am not limiting out on Trout is because I did not have enough live bait when we finally found the fish.

I am in no way not suggesting that you can’t limit out with artificial‘s but I really believe that this is one of the reasons that most of the really good fisherman I know use live bait to find trout and then try to switch to artificial‘s. I am old and experienced enough to realize there are occasions when artificial lures Can actually do better than live shrimp, but let’s be honest that’s really the case. So here is an idea that we tried yesterday That actually worked much better than I expected. So you were in a school of trout catching them about as fast as you can throw out and you are running out of live shrimp. Simply Bite your baby weight off, And put your favorite plastic jig Onto your treble hook. Simply take one of the cooks and put it through the front of the plastic jig. I know immediately you going to think this is not going to work because you are not going to be able to set the hook on the jig is going to come off, but just trust me. I like to add a little bit of a scent when doing this but that’s just me. Then finish the rig just as you normally would if you had live shrimp, but maybe keeping it moving a little bit more, and watch what happens. This is supposed to keep smaller trout from actually getting hot so if you’re missing a bunch of fish the theory is they’re probably smaller trout. I was fishing in Mississippi where the limit is essentially 15 inches and we were catching 13 and 14 inch trout every other cast . I caught at least 40 fish, from 10 to 18 inches and actually caught as many if not more than my buddy who was using typical jighead under a cork.

You do lose a few plastic jugs, and I can’t say I really caught bigger fish than he did but it’s a lot quicker and easier to do this, and since all you are doing to biting the weight off, you can try this before you run out of shrimp. I used #6 treble hook but if that is prohibited you can use regular hook. The theory is that as you use your poping cork to get the trouts attention, the plastic grub pops up to surface and flutters down just like a live shrimp. Give it a shot and let me know if it works for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Tip of the week- when you run out of live shrimp-1d2f74b6-14ca-4281-9681-f5be8c4f0f10_1560529013823-jpg  
jackfish28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
Mingo

Can you post a picture of the rig? I'm not quite following and I always love to try new things
Capnmichael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Yes I will when I get back in, but basically you are just putting the plastic grub on one of the treble hooks with the end that would be up against the lead head or front of the grub in middle of treble hooks.
jackfish28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 06:08 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Question

Treble hook? And could you please send me/post a picture of the rig, thank you sir!

Last edited by youngbuck28; Today at 06:22 PM.
youngbuck28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 09:10 PM   #5
Sailfish

I thought you can’t use trebles for trout in fl?
specktackler57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in