Sunday was a great day to be on the water, Red Snapper, 28 Sept - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 09-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Sunday was a great day to be on the water, Red Snapper, 28 Sept

Headed out about 530 AM Sunday to aspot for some Snapper. The day was great. I took my Step-Son, Zack out with me this time. We find our spot anddrop theanchor andsentthree lines toward the bottom.By 7 am we had one keeper Red Snapper in the boat and catching alot ofjunior red snapperand a few mingos'. The Dolphin's were out as well, chasing down eachfish that we released. Zack hooks up on what looks to be apossible keeper, Gets it about 10 feet from the boat and the same dolphin he was just loving to have a chance to play with just stole his fish on the line. I messed with Zack for a bit then wentback to fishing. About 8am I was on fire. No matter wich rod I used I was catching Red Snapper and Mingos. Hit the bottom, reel about 5-6 times then sit. I don't think I waited more than 3-4 minutes before it was on again, pulling in another fish and watchfor the dolphins at the same time.We gotour limit that day and then helped a few others get theirs. seemed like everyone was on the wreck but not many people other than me was catching fish regulary. Maybe bait choice, line, hookset-up, not sure but it worked that day. Best luck since June. What a beautiful day out there.

Dead Cig's were the bait of choice.We had a box of the frozen4-5"and also a bag of frozen 6"+. Line was 40lb. Ande mono, hooks were just normal 1,2 Circle hooks. I set them up like a stinger but still using mono and no steel leader. 2oz weight Carolina style. With about 3ft of leader. I will post pics later when I get to the house.

I don't know what everyone else was using but there were about 6 boats out near us by 10am.
Doogiesar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: Sunday was a great day to be on the water, Red Snapper, 28 Sept

man it seems like everyone caught fish but me (us) ..how far out there were you at...we stopped a t the jeties, mc rae pickens trolled pass #1 almost went to the 3 barges but decided to head back in instead...water was beautiful out there. ..So Dead cigs uh?....we were loaded with nice size pin fish and lots of good size finger mullet...got nothing with live bait...we caught a spanish trolling stretchers that was it. Good for you guys...you doknow your waters very well seems like....:clap Yeah the mass location got me disoriented for a few mnts....whats the exact coordinates do you now?
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
Trigger

The guy next to us was using Live Ruby Reds, hooked up 3 times but only 1 time got into the boat, Amber Jack, but 1" too short. We were out about 8-9 miles on a wreck.

The mass is one of my favorite spots to stop, if nothing else just for the history of it since you can see the barrel at low tide. My corrdinates are off of Divespot.com. you can go there and find the wreck. It will get you close but it is not right on.

Ya dead Cig's were our big hitter, we had squid but it just stayed in the cooler, we never changed bait the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
White Marlin

Nice report. Thanks !!!!!! Good pictures to.

Scott

18' McKee Craft w/90 HP Honda
25.5 Grady White Sailfish W/ Twin 200 ETEC
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

:letsdrink

:clap

nice day!
florida_girl23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Sweet job, and nice gettin the youngin out there too!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Grand Slam

Good job Zack, keep it up!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Trigger

Thanks guys. Yes Zack had a blast out there. The last time I took him the weather wasn't cooperating and the wind was kicking pretty bad, needless to say it was a wet ride and not fun for him.I am greatful that this time he had a lasting memory of this trip.

If I can work it, I might camp on the 11th at McCrea. But I don't know anyone out there or where exactly to camp. I have been there before but not when there were alot of boats pulled into the area. I am not new to the area, I have been here for almost 3 yrs but was married for 2 of them and no boat, so I have my boat and not married .Now I amseeing and experiencing new great things about Pensacola. Too bad that it is almost time for me to transfer somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in