Story to follow... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Story to follow...

what do you guys fish for in November?

story to follow soon....

Long story, even longer... i think most of you know Cindy (sandy keys) just had the 21st aniversary of her 29th birthday. for her birthday, i wantedto get her something not just anyonecould get her. something about 30 pounds or so, with a few spots on its tail.

(one like this would be just perfect!)

we had good success the last few weeks and thought we had a plan for last sunday. well, cindy was not able to go with us last sunday, and we rainchecked until today.

we planed on a casual start from the state park and justsomeof the 'typical'trolling of stretch 30s along a stretch of beach that we have caughtseveral ofour big bulls lately. but, notall days end up like you start them out as. as my luck would have it, the lil' red monster and her 'vintage' evinrude was giving me trouble. i was working on convincing herto cooperate in the cold water and it was takingmore than i had hoped for on this day. in the meantime, Julie--my newfishing partner, who is as enthusiasticand eager as anypartner you could ever dream of meeting, was just too ready to wet a line. she asked for a rod--one rigged with small Braid spoon on it that she had been throwing at bonito a couple of weekendsago. i thoughtthis was a perfect idea, as i needed a few minutes to'discuss' a few things with the motor. she andcindy happily walked down the dock leaving me to my work.after a few minutes of turn key, scratch head, repeat, i looked down the dock to see the 'team' in action. Julie was holding the rod with one hand--with one hand in her pocket, andCindy was reeling with one hand--with her other hand in herpocket. ahhh, teamwork. the ladies were having fun beingsilly.

a few minutes later both were squealingand moving around franticlly (i'llbe in trouble for that remark). but i did see Julie's rod bowed over. a 7' medium action rodwith a shimano reel, spooledwith new braid that i just boughtspecifically for redfishing. i expected to see a lady fish jump--given our location, but the rod stayed bowed overand the fish was really working her over. now it was getting serious. i was just begining to think redfish, whenCindystarted calling for the net. ok, so now i better drop my duties and get in on whatever was going on. i grabbed up the net and jogged down the dock watching this fish workhard to find a piling or deeper water or some other escape.

i saw silver, and thought 'lookdown?' but it would have to be a HUGE lookdown. i handed Cindy the net and she took upquarters belly-first on the dock, while Julie did her dead level best to guide what i could now see was a very very respectable pompano, into the net. with plenty of pilings and all the confusion, Cindydid a net job that wouldhave made a redfish guide proud and we hadsupper in the net! all without leaving the dock.

Julie with supper (yes, that is a pompano--caughtwith a spoon, on the Big Lagoon State Park dock!!)

We decided to ditch the boat idea, as this day was about fun and being just casual, and we had no need to be bogged down with any motor woes.we stopped by Grays and got 4 dozen shrimp and askedShana what thereports were--redfish and black snapper isall she had heard about. ifigured we had supper in the cooler, and there was no way we would top that--even if we foundsome redfish around the docks we had access to. but, off we went--loaded with shrimp, beer and14 different flavors of chips, we were hard core after it!

i guess we fished maybe an hour and hada few nibbles andmaybe apig fish or two, but no redfish just yet. Cindy kept saying shewas getting a hit every time she came by a little rock pile offour dock, and after another cast or two she was hooked upon a nice fish. of course i thought redfish, but when that big wide flash of silver came up, i was just speachless.

i is unusual enough to catch one pompano in the bay in november--but two? i was just estatic. we were going to eat like kings (er, and queens) tonight. these were respectable pompano, too. the first we weighed at just over 3 lbs, and thisone was just as big.

we fisheduntil 2 pm, andendedup with not 2 pompano, but 5! we caught the first one at BLSP, and ended up with 4 more atother docksalong big lagoon.

Yes, it was THAT cold.

hey, they even let me take one off the hook!! by the way, the end of the day tally was Me-0, girls-5. hey, as long as i get to enjoy supper, i'll filet all the pompano they can catch!

That's number 3 or 4, i cant tell.

Cindy all dolled up in her 'fish camo'.

another pic of the largest one. the tale-of-the-tape, showed this fish weighing 3 3/4 lbs on the certified bogagrip. the others were all around 3 lbs.

my happy girls with pomps number 2 thru 5 (number one was in the cooler at the house from our first stop)

and for the finale of the evening...(after cleaning and naps), it's supper time!!

thats a fillet that'll make ya slap ya mama.

oh heck yea! we ate until we couldnt move.

almost forgot to mention the stingray cube scampi for appetizer, and Cindy's chocolate chip cookies before my fat tummy slips off to sleep!

although the day didnt go the way i planned, the big Captain upstairs somehow seems to nudge you the way he wants you to go.

I hope Cindy finds her 'birthday trip', as memorable as i do.

cheers.

drew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Story to follow...

Indeed, indeed! Thank you, thank you! It had been a while since I dipped a hook, andMORE than happy to brave the cold wind to do it. My Birthday trip was excellent just as the story so well told.

Had a wonderful day, only thingI can add is...well, I was literally left on the dock sometime after 2:30, as I just didn't want to lay that rod down! LOL!! THANKS SO MUCH, IT WAS AWESOME!!! :bowdown:clap
SandyKeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Grouper

way to go on the pomps. sounds like u guys had a blast. another great report as usual drew.
725 W Garden St (corner of A and Garden)
791-6607
[email protected]
http://www.pensacolaimports.com
freespool50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
White Marlin

Dad gum that looks like ya'll had a trip. Drew, I can tell you that Cindy was excited. Had the chance to talk to her on the phone last night and she was still giddy about it. I apoligize for missing you Saturday night. We must have just went in when you came over. I knew immediatly Sunday morning I messed up when I went outside to the truck we had missed you. :doh Next time, I'll try to stay awake longer. Great pictures and good on you for the great trip.

Mark
231 Proline WA (sold )
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Grand Slam

Great story and Happy Birthday girl.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #6
Grouper

those are some really nice pompano, and really cool the place you caught them.
tailfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Cindy....1st off HAPPY BDAY GURL!!!!!:letsdrink

2nd what a heck of a BDAY.....woopin' a man's arse at fishing then getting it cooked all while you sit back and enjoy a few adult beverages!!!!!!:bowdownbowdown What more could you ask for! Ya'll were braver then me, had the boat charged ready to go this AM but whoosed out due to freezin' conditions!!!!:banghead:banghead:banghead

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

What a great belated birthday outing. Now thats what I want to post after next weekend. If I hook up like that it will tickle the...(well you know what) out of me. Do have one question....what was the temperature that day that you had to mummy up?:banghead Good report, fine pictures and a I know you made one birthday girl happy as you can see , of what you can see on her face.

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
Sailfish

Sweet! Nice catch!!
Halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Sailfish

Excellent. I love it when a plan comes together. HappyBday Cindy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in