Snapper have run out of room in the Gulf!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 02-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #1
Snapper

Default Snapper have run out of room in the Gulf!!!

Went out fishing by myself Friday in the bay, I put in at 17th Ave, and had rough start. I put in a water pump for the first time and I thought it went pretty smooth so I was trying it out. Started it up and it was pissing good, another guy was putting his boat in so I untied from the launch and pushed off to give the other guy some room. I put the boat in gear and nothing, reverse nothing. Crap, crap, crap, by this time the wind and current had me floating close to the sailboat moored that is for sale. I had to flag down the guy that put in after me to tow me back to the ramp. Thank-you whoever you were!!!! It would have been a cold swim. Pulled the boat back out and called Kenny Mann at Emerald Coast Marine. I thought for sure this was going to cost me a bundle, but Kenny assured me that it was an easy fix. I didn't align the spline for the prop drive correctly when putting the lower unit back together. I rememberedI had a small toolkit in the truck to I pulled the lower unit off in the parking lot. I'm sure a few people thought I was stealing some poor dudes lower unit. I figured the police would be visiting soon. I realigned the lower unit and was back in business. Thanks to Kenny Mann!!!! I figured I would try fishing around the 3 mile bridge. I caught plenty of white trout, got bored and decided to try for some groupers with the white trout in the bay. Guess what??? No GROUPER, or anything else except for endangered SNAPPER. The snappers are so thick in the Gulf of Mexico,they need more room, so they moved into the bay. I can't get away from snapper. I haven't caught anything else in the bay on two recent trips looking for grouper or redfish except snapper. I even caught a 16" snapper. Look closely and you will see the old Coast Guard Station in the background. Took some pics of the other 13" snapper also. The bay was slick and I stayed out until dark. Great day on the water after a rough start.

"GONE FISHIN' TOO"

(Recreational Fisherman)
2001 19' Cape Horn
200 HPDI Yamaha
Pensacola,FL
[email protected]
Christopher Knieja
cell # 850-261-9409
MMSI# 338089788
Secretary of the PRFA http://www.fishpensacola.net
Gone Fishin' Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Snapper have run out of room in the Gulf!!!

saw you putting on my way to workout then to work. glad you had a great day. that first snapper i don't think is a red snapper. can't remember which one but the dot on the side is another trype. i think mutton snapper but don't have my book handy. if i'm wrong forgive me. i also saw you out trolling about 2 months ago. i have a 19ft blazer bay with ttop.
flynurse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Sailfish

Those are all Red Snapper. The lil' guys have that dark splotch just behind the dorsal - it almost looks like a Lane snapper but no vertical lines or yellow and the head is different.

Great Report!

:mmmbeer

Stressless
Stressless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Grouper

Great report, beautiful pictures. Those are all red snappers. They have that little spot on them when they are small. It is a blast to catch them on jigs and grubs like you were doing on some of the fish in the pictures.They put up an unbelievable scrap on light tackle for their size. It is interesting that you didn't catch at least any juvenile gags.
wrightackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Snapper

Those snappers were eating the Gulp shrimp 3" molting, over anything else. I had live white trout,cut squid, glass minnows, frozen cigs, and threadfins. I was using several rods at a time and I should have just held on to the Gulp shrimp rod. Everytime I pulled it in to check the shrimp was mauled to the hook. I went through 10 or so Gulps. I probably could have easily caught 3 to 5 more snappers.

"GONE FISHIN' TOO"

(Recreational Fisherman)
2001 19' Cape Horn
200 HPDI Yamaha
Pensacola,FL
[email protected]
Christopher Knieja
cell # 850-261-9409
MMSI# 338089788
Secretary of the PRFA http://www.fishpensacola.net
Gone Fishin' Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Sailfish

Thanks for the report.
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #7
Trigger

Great report and pics. I am probably like the rest of us on here, still waiting for the weather to calm down to get the boat out. I could go but don't want to end up with back problems. Thanks for the post.
Doogiesar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #8
White Marlin

We have caught many a Snappper right were you were !!!!!!!! We have managed to take a few Grouper there also. Great report.Thanks

Scott

18' McKee Craft w/90 HP Honda
25.5 Grady White Sailfish W/ Twin 200 ETEC
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Great post and report..By the way those are not Red Snapper. Red Snapper are all but extinct in the Gulf.:banghead:banghead:banghead

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
Mingo

Your right about the snapper. This past weekend, a guy caught a snapper off Sykes. He was pretty hot he had to throw it back.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in