Simpson River / Escambia Bay by Canoe - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 04-05-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Simpson River / Escambia Bay by Canoe

Ok guys, this is the first time Ive attempted any fishing in about 20 years. Ive got a little bass boat I got from my crazy uncle for $350, got the engine working, but the steering is still screwy. It need some work. Cant take it out yet.

SOOO, having recently decided to "get busy living, or get busy dying" like Andy Dufrain says in the Shawshank Remption, I decided I was gonna go fishing today , come hell, wind, high water, or broken boat. So I got myCANOE OUT and paddled like hell

I put in at Simpson River off hwy 90 around 1pm. The wind was pushing north and the current was going south. I would guess it was 15-20 mph winds. Could this be why no one was catching? No one caught off the dock. I fished the flats to the north, then I went under the bridge and fished the flats to the South. Then I fished in the middle. Then I came back to the north, and then came back to shore. I probably put a good 3 or 4 miles on that canoe in light chop and heavy wind. Boy what a workout. I tried 3cm Gulf Shrimp Naturals with red jig heads, and got nothing. I tried fishing with cut bait, and a cork, and I tried a pink/white grub with a red jig head.

I saw one mullet jump. I asked 6 different people at the dock and none had any luck. I also saw many boats trolling around the flats and doing a lot of casting and reeling in slack lines. Left around 7pm. I thought my absolute beginner skill level was the culprit, but no one else was catching anything.

A couple questions: Does the wind play a big factor?

Should I have hit something with the Natural gulp shrimpor would the New Penny have been a better choice?

What about the white/pink grubs? I figured the Naturals were too dark to be seen, even though they had a bright red jig head. That water is awfully brown.

I also tried a silver spinner bait and another lurereally meant for freshwater bass fishing, but I figured hell I wasnt having any luck, if something was hungry it would bite.

Where are the crabs? I threw some chicken backs in the watter and they just sat there for hours!

Guys, I didn't catch a damn thing.And I had a blast doing it!
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Default RE: Simpson River / Escambia Bay by Canoe

I've never had noticed the wind shutting down fish, it can just be a pain to paddle against. I was unfortunately not able to get out at all yesterday but checked the weather and noticed the pressure was still a little low. That would be my guess as to why no one caught anything. Fish can get pretty lethargic, same as we do when the air pressure is low. Also there has been a lot of silty freshwater moving out of the rivers that may have caused a couple things. All of that mud in the water may have limited visibility for the fish to see you lures like you suggested. Also, all of that high water would have opened up areas that the fish may not normally get access to and could have spread them out quite a bit.

Don't get frustrated with your first trip back being a skunk. It happens, that's why its "fishing" not "catching". Unless your Chuck Norris then its "Killing".

By the way congrats on the bass boat, good luck getting it running and hope to see you out there again.

Alex
akjren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Snapper

One thing folks forget alot around here is about the rivers. I fish the rivers alot and right now they are all above flood stage. The Simpson river is no different. The Escambia has been above flood stage for almost two weeks. That amount of new, nutrient rich water will lock anyfishes jaw.
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Grouper

I drove past the areas you fished and went to Bayou Texar. Fished several hours around the mouth and a little ways up the bayou with just a couple of small specks to show. The pin fish love the new penny gulp shrimp.
fishitall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Sailfish

Quote:
akjren (4/5/2009)I've never had noticed the wind shutting down fish, it can just be a pain to paddle against. I was unfortunately not able to get out at all yesterday but checked the weather and noticed the pressure was still a little low. That would be my guess as to why no one caught anything. Fish can get pretty lethargic, same as we do when the air pressure is low. Also there has been a lot of silty freshwater moving out of the rivers that may have caused a couple things. All of that mud in the water may have limited visibility for the fish to see you lures like you suggested. Also, all of that high water would have opened up areas that the fish may not normally get access to and could have spread them out quite a bit.

Don't get frustrated with your first trip back being a skunk. It happens, that's why its "fishing" not "catching". Unless your Chuck Norris then its "Killing".

By the way congrats on the bass boat, good luck getting it running and hope to see you out there again.

Alex
Perhaps the low pressure was the problem. That would explain the wind as well, when there is a difference in pressure from point a to point b, you get wind. And the amount of water makes sense... the next poster mentioned the same thing, the rivers are above flood stage because of the rain.

I'll definitely be back. I left a couple of crab traps out there just to make me
Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
RAY
Ruby Red Lip

I know just like anyone else that has had "the fever" most of his life, that it is hard to do, but I am going to take a rest and get ready for a trip after the water level goes down a bit. I agree with the guy that posted that there is a lot of silt in the water and mud and that the fish have places they can go that arent always available.

If you are going to use your canoe while you wait on funds or parts (or advice) for your bass boat, you should try some of the bayous in that same area that can be sheltered from the wind. Indian bayou, which isnt in that same area, would be a good place and has given me quite a few specks in the past.

In there I would use a plastic shrimp of whatever you like under a popping cork. Try a 1/4 oz DOA in red, rootbeer or white. Use a Cajun Thunder popping cork and about a 2ft long 15 to 20 lb testmono leader.

Ifthat doesnt cut it try a Mirror Lure like a Catch 2000 or Catch 2000 Pup.

Those have been my favorite lures and setups for the past few years. Nothing is foolproof but these will get you headed in the right direction.

Remember to give the popping cork setup about two pops and then let the shrimp sink for about five seconds. Sometimes you have to experiment withthe number of pops. The Mirror lurewill just be a smooth retrieve.

If youget into a bayou at low tide look for a cut at the mouth of it where the water is flowing andfishby casting tothe inside retrievingout.

Good luck man and be safe in the Canoe.:usaflag
RAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Sailfish

Quote:
RAY (4/5/2009)I know just like anyone else that has had "the fever" most of his life, that it is hard to do, but I am going to take a rest and get ready for a trip after the water level goes down a bit. I agree with the guy that posted that there is a lot of silt in the water and mud and that the fish have places they can go that arent always available.

If you are going to use your canoe while you wait on funds or parts (or advice) for your bass boat, you should try some of the bayous in that same area that can be sheltered from the wind. Indian bayou, which isnt in that same area, would be a good place and has given me quite a few specks in the past.

In there I would use a plastic shrimp of whatever you like under a popping cork. Try a 1/4 oz DOA in red, rootbeer or white. Use a Cajun Thunder popping cork and about a 2ft long 15 to 20 lb testmono leader.

Ifthat doesnt cut it try a Mirror Lure like a Catch 2000 or Catch 2000 Pup.

Those have been my favorite lures and setups for the past few years. Nothing is foolproof but these will get you headed in the right direction.

Remember to give the popping cork setup about two pops and then let the shrimp sink for about five seconds. Sometimes you have to experiment withthe number of pops. The Mirror lurewill just be a smooth retrieve.

If youget into a bayou at low tide look for a cut at the mouth of it where the water is flowing andfishby casting tothe inside retrievingout.

Good luck man and be safe in the Canoe.:usaflag

Thanks for the advice... now where is the best place to shop for the recommended gear?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
RAY
Ruby Red Lip

Walmart or Academywill havethe best price you'll find. The root beer colored DOA is brown with silver specks. I think that one would be the best color until the water clears up a little. Dont ask me why, butthat just seems to work good in this kind of water. And make sure that you get the round Cajun Thunder Popping cork.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Sailfish

Quote:
RAY (4/5/2009)Walmart or Academywill havethe best price you'll find. The root beer colored DOA is brown with silver specks. I think that one would be the best color until the water clears up a little. Dont ask me why, butthat just seems to work good in this kind of water. And make sure that you get the round Cajun Thunder Popping cork.
Well I didnt read this till I came back.

Went out today just around the jetty at the 17th avenue launch, then around the rocks, the first few bridge pilings, and around the other side fishing from shore. I stopped by the bait shop on cervantes and got the cajun popping cork and the root beer DOA. I also got some flourocarbon leader.UnfortunatelyI have the egg shaped / oblong popping cork. It is green. Would I be better off with the round one vs theoblong/egg shaped?

Regardless, I didnt catch anything today. Two days out, two different places, both windy, choppy, and muddy. Two days with no hits/ no fish. I know there is a learning curve but damn its a lot easier to be motivated to go out when you actually catch something now and then :boo

Not sure I was really working this popping corkright either. I have to say though I didnt see anyone else catching anything. I got pulled over in my canoe by FWC ( jesus these guys take their job seriously ) and he said some people had caught some white trout I think is what he said.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
RAY
Ruby Red Lip

I like the round one because it will let you know when the shrimp is done sinking by turning upright. The long skinny one will sometimes stick on its side. The round one also makes more of a pop. Dont be afraid to try Simpson River again and go north of Highway 90 as far as you feel comfortable. Fish the points where the river splits and work that rig with the current close to the grass. I am not sure how far north you will have to go but the power lines make an "X" abovethe river at some point. There are several deep holes here and I have had luck here. It seemslikethe weather was messed uplike it has been lately when Ihave caught fish here. I have only caught Speks there. I dont think the water was as high as it is right now though so it may not be worth the paddle just yet. I think it is a good ways fromthe highway. I used to go there in an old boat that I had. I havent fished that spot in a bout a year.Good luck man. Dont mind the FWC. I just get ticked when I am getting checked and then some dork that is poaching redfish near me misses them by an hour. Thats how it goes though. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in