Schooled on Saturday - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 09-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Schooled on Saturday

Hi all,

Disclaimer, this is a negative report. It does not end well. I post it to help others not repeat my mistakes. ;-)

A friend of mine was in from Sweden and so that was reason enough to try my first inshore fishing trip. (Am newly transplanted fisherman to the area, beautiful place y'all got down here.) Now, just a week earlier, I *finally* got my first red off the back dock up here in the east east-bay, inside the power lines. (The gold spoon did it) With that confidence booster, I decided we were ready to see if we could pick up our first spanish or small king. Now, the skies were ugly Sat AM, so we waited until about noon. Headed to Half Hitch in Navarre and picked up 2 doz shrimp and minnows, tossed 'em in the well and made for the old naval base (I think) across from the smoke stack on the inside of PNS pass. I had run across Capt. Rob Cochran in HH the day earlier who was a great help and a great guy. (as opposed to Ben who seemed reluctant to even tell me what hooks I should use). When we got there, there were a few boats around not a bad sign...

So, with 2 ultralights, 1 medium-light spinners and 2 medium poles, with 1, 2 and 3 oz egg sinkers above a barrel swivel which was 2' above 3/0 circle hooks, we drifted north off the area from about 20' to 45' and repeated. Light breeze, not much current and contrary to the weather man, we had plenty of sun. Not having any experience in the area, but plenty of positive attitude, we were sure we'd come up with something, even just a rubber boot. My sounders seemed to mark plenty of bait in spots, so it was just a matter of time.

Well, nothing, nada, zero, zilch. We seemed to be dragging the bait more than anything. And whatever was down there didn't give a rats ass about our minnows. Shrimp disappeared and we did land one blue cat, which was utterly depressing. After 2 hours and working on a sunburn, the option was to migrate across to the spot just west of the smoke stack or somewhere else. So, not having fished the bridge before, and having that marked all over my map as a hot spot, we headed there. Same result. Nada, zero. Ok, 1 tiny, what looked to be a mangrove snapper and 1 almost as tiny speckled trout. Not a single hit on the minnows ever. So, I tried tail hooking 'em, nose hooking 'em, back hook, rubbing them, caressing them, pleading with them, but nothing.

It was working on 5PM now, so we headed home in beautiful calm water and stopped at Sabine. One other guy fishing the shore there...Lots of bait around and what seemed to be specks hitting the surface along with mullet. I haven't learned yet to recognize what a red looks like at the surface...but there were fish around. Once again, not a damn thing. Now, I know about not fishing in the middle of the day, but could it be this bad really? I'm usually the guy with something in the cooler when everyone else is swearing. But man, the bays have not been kind to me. I'd have had better luck with swim goggles with my hands tied behind my back.

After pulling out it was dark, and I was so depressed I forced my guest to stop at Juanas. After 3 margaritas, we decided to beat these two 18 year old dudes at beach 2's in volleyball, which made me feel slightly better. Other than that, all I caught was a 100 dollar gas bill, 20 dollar bait bill and a slight hangover in the morning.

Anyways, hope you all had a better day/weekend than I did. Any tips, pointers, corrections or good dirty jokes to make me forget are welcome.

philthefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
CCC
Grand Slam

Default RE: Schooled on Saturday

So a monkey with one testical walks into a bar.............. ahhhh crap sorry forgot the rest........but anyway, wasn't you, I think the weather had some crappy effect on fishing yesterday. My boat is down till next week and we went and fished the t-pier on the gulf breeze side of 3MB using live pinfish and got NOTHING where Thursday we slaughtered the Jack Crevalle's and Reds, it was just a bad day yesterday. The ritas sounded good at Juannas though. :letsdrink
Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #3
Mingo

Thanks CCC. Yeah, they softened the blow a bit. You know what's crazy? Am thinking of heading out right now and doing it all over again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
CCC
Grand Slam

lol, me too !
Old 09-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Mingo

Sounds like most of my inshore trips.
Max_Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Mingo

and....

SKUNKED ON MONDAY

Well boys. It's official. I did it again today... Despite every shop being out of bait, I went down and got some friendly help from Glenn at HHT and tackled up a bit. I went out armed with some Gulps, a yozuri or two, another trusty gold spoon, a bunch of 2/0 hooks and some cut bait. This time we headed for the old ferry terminal towards destin. So I pulled up on the bar, could see bait around and went at it. Got hit a couple of times and then figured it out...Ladyfish. Landed on larger one (boring) and then what... My Swedish pal hooks a meaty catfish, we net him and I'm just about to dehook him and the bastard flips and NAILS me with with right fin spine and I mean DEEP. So, 10 minutes later after I finish swearing in 3 languages, I'm writing in agony with my hand in a bucket of ice. What a chump I was for even thinking about getting close to that fish.

Anyways, the sky was mean and dark and we raced back to Juana's again. This time for chili and a bloody mary. Funny how my finger felt better after that.

Never to be denied, we waited until 4 and headed back out... This time across to the north side just at the end of the bunched up channel markers...you know houses and rotten jetties etc... Not much more than 3' of water. But the more we fiddled around there, I just wasn't feeling it. The wind was up...I wasn't catching squat and here was going to drift into extremely shallow water with a load of broken pilings. No, my luck has been crap lately. So we went back by the navarre bridge and anchored over that 17' hole... Threw cut bait, gulps, swam a few yozuri's and decided it was better to watch the sunset. Which was pretty nice.

Anyways, could the lesson here be:

60% chance of t-storms + persistent low pressure cell + neat tides + my dumb ass = a catfish spine in the finger?

Hey, I outta thank that catfish...At least I *smell* like fish!

Hope you all had a good one.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 AM   #7
Trigger

Try drifting some grass flats that hold mullet or any other baits (preferable near deeper water). Use a bobber or freeline live shrimp or pinners. Try this early and late in the day for better results ESPECIALLY on incomming tides ie start fishing a few hours before and just after the tide changes direction.

You can also take those live shrimps to most bridges and catch all the black snapper you want in most tides conditons. I been using 10# backcountry tyed straight to a small hook, using live 2-3" menhaden with no weight (adding a split shot to two is fish are holding down or current calls for it). Approach pilings at a crawls pace(trolling motor is great)and pitch your offerings about two feet from the pilings and watch for them come out an greet your bait. If nothings there move on.start in 10-12 ft. then move to deeper water towards the channel. They WILL be holding somewhere. Try fishing all side of the platform ie up current, down current and sides. Set the hook as soon as you see your line move or come tight. They are very fast and can get you back under the pilings in a blink of an eye. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Mingo

Thanks still-flippin. I really appreciate the specifics. I think I need to sort out some sort of trolling motor for my beastie. Can you put a trolling motor on a 24.5' WA? I'm sure someone has done it. I've got to figure a way...My 225 ain't that delicate.

A follow up question for you...How do you get the menhaden? Are you snagging them? Or will they take Sabiki's?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in