A Quick Trip to 3 Mile With the Kids 11.23.08 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 11-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Snapper

Default A Quick Trip to 3 Mile With the Kids 11.23.08

I have been trying to get the kids out to 3 mile for a while now, but with either school for them, work for me, or the weather against us it has been tough to find time. Well they are out this week for Thanksgiving, and it warmed up a bit and the wind layed down, so we said what the heck, bundled up and headed for the bridge. It was a chilly ride out and the kids were all trying to hide under the dash and windsheild, but once we got anchored it wasn't too bad. Everyone grabbed a nuclear chicken gulp and started fishing. It was ribbon fish, after ribbon fish, after ribbon fish, but the kids were having fun.

The wind picked up a bit about an hour after we got there and pulled the anchor loose and blew us under the bridge, so we decided to try a new spot. As soon as we got settled at the new place we found the white trout.

Well, I was happy to see the trout, and my Daughter caught the first small one so I pulled out my white ugly stick with the big gunnison and 25 lb test and tossed that trout out! I'm not sure why, but for some reason My oldest son still hadn't caught a bull yet, so I promised that the first one was going to be his!!!!! Well it didn't take long before that rod bowed up and almost touched the water, and then sprung back up. I pulleditoutof the holder, and still felt the trout swimming, so I adjusted the drag and set it back down. I was about to pick up another rod when I saw it bend again and this time I heard drtag singing. I flipped the reverse switch and let that fish run for about 30 seconds, then flipped it back reeled and put some pressure on it. Screaming drag!!! The circle hook found it's mark and I handed the rod to my Son. He fought that fish for 20 minutes before he finally got it to the boat the first time. When it saw the boat it ran like hell again, and it took him at least another 5 to get it to the boat again. Now it was about 3 foot fromtheside of the boat and on the top of the water and we got our first real good look at it. It was over 50 inches and at least 30-35 pounds. I thought for sure that it was about to roll when out of the blue it made another run and [email protected]#$$ pulled the knot :banghead :banghead :banghead here are some pics of him fighting it.

Needless to say we were all very dissapointed especially my Son, and we were about to call it a night, and thats when I saw two more reds on top of the water in the light behind the boat, so I told the kids I needed another small trout. Well we caught another 10 inch or so trout, tied on a new circle hook, and tossed him out. We all agreed to give AJ another chance and it didn't take long for that chance to come. This time when the pole bent, I was ready and flipped the reverse switch. Line was peeling off the reel, so I set the hook again and once again....FISH ON....This time it ended the way we wanted it too, with some exremely funny moments with Chan (he is only 10) netting the fish, and trying to get it in the boat. Here are some pics

And here is a picture of the proud angler!!!!!

Well we did what we set out to do, and put AJ on his first bull red, so it was time to pack up the gear. I pulled the anchor, and headed back to 17th, and by the time we got back I think the kids were half frozen. The heater in my Bronco has never felt better. All and all it was a great night and everybody had fun despite the cold. I am proud of the kids for braving the elements to search for the big fish. What a fun night. Thanks for reading.

Good luck and Good fishing,

Glastronix
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: A Quick Trip to 3 Mile With the Kids 11.23.08

very nice man! site fishing those reds at night is a blast. usually you can get multiple hook ups asher friends will follow her to the boat. thanks for the great report and pics.
dailysaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Sailfish

Glastronix ,great report as usual . Those are some looong ribon fish there...:clap
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Sailfish

Nice job:clap look's and Sounds like the Kids had a Really good time, And thats all that matters !!
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Snapper

Dude, awesome job!!! Spending time with the "tribe" has benefits that far outreach the moment. They will never forget those strange ribbon-fish. And AJ will never forget his first bull red or the "first" one that got away. The pictures are great...you can't buy smiles like those! Again, awesome job.
Misn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Trigger

Great report. Always good to see the kids out there doing more catching instead of fishing. Good to see you got them out of the house and on the water. I haven't been out at 3MB for a while. Still waiting on the water to calm over a weekend. After work just doesn't seem to work to well with having to be up at 330am 3 days a week. Thanks for the report and the pics. Looks like a whole lot of fun.
Doogiesar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl6_lblFullMessage>Jason, great report, looks like it was a bit cold out, but it looked like the family didn't care as they were have a great time.. Thanks for sharing.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Thanks John, yeah it was cold, but the kids did great! They bundled up and caught some fish!!!!!
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
Trigger

Awesome report, congrates to your son.:clap
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in