A Quick Trip...... - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Grouper

Default A Quick Trip......

Yesterday's weather was just AWFUL, wasn't it???? :hotsun

I couldn't stand it- sun's out, NOAA is saying nice things about the Gulf, and I'm doing, well,nothing noteworthy but just absolutely dying to be anywhere but on land. Mike, in his infinite wisdom, says, "Well, Karon, all you have to do is say please....."and before you could say "Fish on!" I had rods pulled out and a drybag packed..... off we went to splash the boat for an afternoon trip. We stopped in at Outcast to pick up a couple of eels and other necessities. Though Mike does not have a tower, he's sighted and landed his share of cobia. I have yet to land a legal cobia on my own and it is my favorite fish for dinner, so the plan was to spend a relaxing afternoon seeing what we could see.

We knew the windmay not have beenexactly in our favor as far as cobes go, but we headed out and headed west to see if we could meet any headed our way. The beach was gorgeous, the sun was warm, the eels looked great, but no brown-suited gentlemen popped up our way. We did, however, put out an ultralight outfit with a straw rig as we ran the beach, and it became a predictable pattern- he ran a zigzag track and as he'd make the turn through about 18' depth the Spanish would nail the straw. Mike ran the boat and just let me reel in Spanish after Spanish- lots of fun on 10# line!

He saw me having so much fun, he wanted to reel in at least one:

All fish were legal size, but we threw back a few on the smaller side (13-14").... good fishing "karma" and fortunately catch-and-release works well for mackerel. None of the Spanish were exceptionally huge, but they at least had a pound or so to them, largest might have touched 3#. We tinkered around close to shore for probably about an hour, then decided to head south for our first trip into the Gulf in MONTHS. I've really missed seeing the compass needle pointing that direction.

We caught our first Gulf sunset in way too long:

Our fish box at this point looked pretty good and we were hoping to add some variety...

Now then, though we hit the Gulf, I'm posting this in "Inshore" because all of our actual catching took place a stone's throw from the beach. We headed to 4 "old faithful" holes within 6 miles of the beach- one marked fish butproduced only a few half-hearted tiny triggerfish taps, a remora, and a baby red snapper... when we saw that we knew it was best to move on and not even mess with those little guys. Second and third spot marked a whopping NOTHING, and the 4th marked a mess of fish, but nothing hungry- not for live shrimp, not for squid, not for live pinfish. The current was ripping pretty quickly too so it was all Mike could do to try and hold us on the spot while I soaked bait. On the up side, the sky was clear and the stars were out and we were not on land!

We got back to the Famous Dock around 10pm, where Uncle Ultralite was awaiting our arrival and wanting to see the catch. At least we were not skunked- 11 Spanish hit the dock. Mike cleaned the boat, I cleaned fish, and we were back in Milton just after midnight. The Spanish will be eaten with gusto- turns out they are just right for my Nearly Famous Fish Tacos.

The catch- and dinner for tonight!

Though we didn't catch anything out in the Gulf, we did get ultralight drag singing, something for dinner, a beautiful evening, the smell of salt air, and one mo' time out together!
Coryphaena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: A Quick Trip......

Nice post, nice fish, sounds like a great afternoon.
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

great post and any fish is better then none.
gotwake7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Mingo

Nice report and pixs :clap
seapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Sailfish

Man, that is a nice box of fish. Nice job. You guys need to learn how to catch something once in a while.:toast
mpmorr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Snapper

A great catch of Macks!! great report and pictures

Thanks for sharingclap
Marine Scout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
White Marlin

good report as usual karon...i was waiting for ya'll with anticipation of cobia, trigger, and grays...can't get them every time...glad you put some spaniards in the box...
Ultralite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
Grouper

clap:clap
Fish Happens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
Sailfish

Good post as always:bowdown
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in