A Pirates' Weekend- Tourney & Therapy - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Grouper

Default A Pirates' Weekend- Tourney & Therapy

This past weekend marked the third annual Pirates on The Gulf tournament and I stayed the weekend with the Ultralite family to take part in the activities. Captain's Meeting was Friday night, and some of our scurrrrvy brethren get into the spirit...

Saturday the scales were open, and my job was to play "gopher".... get anglers' tickets, get the fish weights, get folks turned towards the photographers.... we had a good handful weighed Saturday, but the neatest thing I saw, hands-down, was this hypermelanistic redfish weighed in by a great fishing team:

This duo weighed in the inshore slam- and then we played "Chinese fire drill" as we bucketed their still-live fish back to the lagoon. These were the only anglers to release fish alive after weighin, and quite frankly I look forward to being the one to re-capture that awesome redfish.... here is another shot on the beach right before it regained its freedom:

After the first day's weighin, we celebrated our beloved Jamie's 40th birthday with an LSU game and some burgers & cake- can't beat that! The final stop was the Famous Dock, where, despite being incredibly tired from new medication/deadlines/stress, I HAD to soak a line, and Micha was my fishing buddy for the night. Jamie kept us company while she relaxed and wound down. Micha had bait in the water before I even tied on a hook, and he found a school of pretty little redfish:

It wasn't long before he had another one to the dock- I love the brassy colors on these.

We watched quite a few shrimp swim by, and netted a few, when Micha says to me- "What's that little fish over there?" Lo and behold, a tiny striped fish was undulating his way against the light current, just within netting distance. It turned out to be a tiny blue runner:

Though tiny, it clearly shows one of the defining, "no question"characters of the jack family- two anal finspines.

The current slacked to a whopping NADA, and the bite became steady:

"This is what I will do to your larger cousins!!!"

Micha and I hooked many 8-10" baby grey snappers which we released. I discovered that the larger, just pan-sized fish were lurking just a piece beyond the reach of the lights....

My fishing buddy for the evening with our twin grey snappers:

This kind of relaxation was exactly what we all needed. I have to pay my respects to all fish I keep:

Between Micha and I we put 6 keeper greys on ice, just enough for the Ultralites to fry up the following evening for dinner.

Next set of fish prints I do, I will try to capture the incredible variation in colors that grey snappers show:

Micha and Jamie went off to bed, and I decided to stick around on the dock for a while- after all, there were still shrimp left in the bucket! I did catch a few more snapper which I released, but most of all I wanted to drink in the evening. It was the perfect kind of night- the kind of calm that makes you unwittingly hold your breath for fear that you'll break the continuum of perfect stillness...... The small herring showed up by the zillions under the lights as the water came to a dead calm and with it the tiny sounds of popping mouths as they fed from the surface. Occasionally a silver flash would throw chaos into the orderly fashion in which the herringwere swirling under those lights. The balmy calm of that perfect salty night air was delicious under more stars than I'd seen in quite some time. I went to sleep more relaxed than I can remember in a while......

Sunday was Day Two of the weighin- here's Robert (Weighmaster) and me (Weighmistress for the day) getting ready for fish:

Fun with miscellaneous items:

We got more cool-looking redfish. The variation in spots captured my inner Nerd.... this one had a true ocellus, and it also shows one of the key characters of the drum family- a lateral line that extends all the way down the tail:

The "business end" of the redfish..... really paying attention to the details of a fish gives one much more appreciation for what makes that fish "tick" I suppose.... here's the head of a fish perfectly adapted forits life as a benthic feeding machine:

Forum members weigh in fish (we tried to convince the angler that the scamp was poisonous and needed to be "studied".....lol)

I wish I had the chance to get more photos at the weighin. I do want to say a special "thank you" to Capt Rog, Cliff, and Earl..... wait till y'all see the artwork.....

And a big THANK YOU to all of the anglers who fished the Pirates on the Gulf tournament, those who came and visited the weighin, and who stayed for the delicious fish fry Sunday evening. Had a great weekend, could not have wished for better weather- and especially could not have wished for better folks to spend it with.

www.outdooralabama.com
Coryphaena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: A Pirates' Weekend- Tourney & Therapy

As usual fantastic post and awesome photo's.....Hate we missed it hopefully we will get involved next year
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Sailfish

Thanks for the report Karon, those pic's are excellent. That one Redfish is crazy, we caught a couple with 7 or 8 spots on one side this past weekend but that one is awesome.:takephoto
Ocean Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Snapper

Thanks Karon for the pics & great post.

I fished the tourney for the first time & have to say I enjoyed it very much .

You did a GREAT JOB working the tournment .
curtpcol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Snapper

Great report, sounds like a great weekend!!!!
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
White Marlin

Thanks Karon. Excellent post as usual. Sounds like you had a good time.Call me when you get done with the Grey Snapper print.

Scott

18' McKee Craft w/90 HP Honda
25.5 Grady White Sailfish W/ Twin 200 ETEC
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Grouper

Scott, pm sent- I have some other new prints in the works......

www.outdooralabama.com
Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Mingo

Thats gotta be the coolest redfish i've ever seen. What makes the spots do that?
flordaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Grouper

It's just pigment deposit..... I can't find any research papers published about this, but apaprently there can be variations in the genes that code for the tail spot(s). Would make an interesting study I think but I don't have the patience or the background to run DNA tests on fish. I was also told at one point that with a greater amount of hatchery-raised fish released, more genetic variation is introduced- at no harm to the fish.... don't know if that's a factor but again something interesting to think about.

Someone at the Pirate tournament told me that there had been a tourney in S. Florida that based the prize on the total number of spots on anglers' fish. Had that been the case with our tourney, the Maddens would have certainly been contenders for the prize!!

www.outdooralabama.com
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

Great report. Thanks for sharing.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in