Lunch Hour Redfish - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Old 01-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Lunch Hour Redfish

Today on my lunch break I decided that I would do alittle fishing, since the temps were reasonable outside. I work on Eglin AFB so I'm in close proximity to the bay. About once a week I go down to one of the "marinas" to see if I can't wrestle anything up. Usually, depending on amount of time I can fish, I'll catch one or two redfish and trout.

The water was about 5 feet deep and murky as hell, the wind wasn't blowing at all. I decided today that I would fish around some of the boat docks.

Well, on my first cast just as it hit the bottom I was bumping my 3 inch gulp and bamm...redfish first of the day, aprox 21", I put him back in the water and on his way. Well at this point I didn't have my camera out because I didn't feel like messing with all that just to make a couple of casts. So I make my second cast and bamm again, this time as soon as the gulp baithits the top of the water, which was right in between the first boat slip in the picture above. This one turned out to be about a 16" redfish.

At this point I walk the ten feet back to my truck and grab my camera, just in case I caught more.

Over the next ten casts, all right beside each other, I catch nine redfish. I decided that I would take a picture of each one because I knew when I told my girlfriend later she would be like "yeah right, you always make up stuff about fishing", so I proceded to snap a photo of each one.

Here is the third one I caught. Had to lay him on the ground since I was by my self.

And then the fourth, I screwed up here and took the picture with the fish facing the wrong way, I can here my girlfriend now, " you flipped the fish over and took another picture of it." So from then on I took them all facing to the left.

And the fifth, and sixth (added my foot on the these to give some sort of reference)

After about 20 minutes I had caught and released 17 redfish between 15" and 22" (didn't want to post 15 redudant photos of redfish laying on the grass all looking nearly the same, so you guys will have to believe me, or I can post the rest if no one does:shedevil. I only used one Gulp the whole time, he barely even had time to bump the bottom with all the redfish action, he did get tore up a little.

Well after 20 or so minutes I had to head back in to work...it was so hard since the bitting did not slow a bit...it must have been a school of a hundred or something. I decided to make a few more casts and see if I could get to 20 fish in 25 minutes..something I thought would be impossible. Since I never really keep redfish, even though they are delicious, I told myself that if I caught 20 and the last one was slot I would keep it to eat.

Well, I caught 20 and the last one was 20", ironic, so I put him in my lunch cooler and carried it back to work and stuffed it in the fridge to clean later. One of my co-workers loves redfish, so he hounded the hell out of me the rest of the day for the fish. I eventually broke down and let him take him home for supper, provided that he let me know how good it was.

All in all it was great to catch so many redfish, I can never get tired of looking at that fish, I love the colors.
Lateralus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: Lunch Hour Redfish

which docks are you fishing in relation to if youre on the water?
mack_attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Mingo

Nice lunch break! i work up at eglin too and now i i will be bringing in my rods once or twice. It's ironic... i took "emergency fishing" leave today to go fish on Gary-O's boat, and it turns out that the reds were right there where i work.

Any how, nice catch, maybe i will see you around.

Tight Lines!
allen_perkinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Mingo

he's fishing over there by where the officer/SNCO housing is. its a small area probably about 300x300 at most. actually from what i understand your not "supposed" to fish there. but i have been know to scope it out every now and then.
allen_perkinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Trigger

thanks
mack_attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Snapper

Just a tip, I know it sounds anal, but you guys may want to keep locations like that one (especially since its a small area) to PMs. There are a lot of people reading through this forum and 90% of them don't contribute anything, but will fish a spot you found in a heart beat.

I know that sounds like I'm a A-hole, I really am all for helping other fishermen, just not ones that aren't willing to contribute back.

Awesome, awesome catch man!What a freaking lunch break!
PaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
Blue Marlin

Damn GOOD Job!!:bowdown:bowdown:bowdownclap:clap
Pinksnappertrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM   #8
Snapper

Lets do lunch :bowdown NIce report :bowdown
haybill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Gorgeous Red!! Thats my kind of lunch break!
Officer Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Snapper

Great job....:clap :letsdrink
RiVerRaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in