HELP!!! Please (my fathers in town) - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
DWL
Trigger

Default HELP!!! Please (my fathers in town)

I need a few pointers from you guys please. We are new to the area (actually we are putting the boat in the water for the first time tomorrow Sunday) we just moved here from Beaufort SC (where I knew where to fish).. Anyways, I want to take him to catch a fish -ANY FISH- but we are not sure where to go and what bait to use. Please help. We will be launching the boat from the base.

thanks

Danny
DWL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Default RE: HELP!!! Please (my fathers in town)

How about 3 mile bridge ?

That's what some of the guys have been saying.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Sailfish

Hey bud and welcome..I am also from Beaufort...Its going to be beautiful tommorrow..Hit the pass for reds...You could try trolling or drifting menhaden or cigs near the droppoffs..Ive seen your ski boat picture before and always though it looked like Beaufort or Savannah..The Oak trees with the spanish moss are awesome there
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
DWL
Trigger

can you tell me where the Pass is??
Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Grouper

Just some advice. Why don't you hire one of the local guides for a trip ? The amount of knowledge that you go gain from a single trip would help you out for the rest of the season. Granted, guides are not cheap, but they are well worth the price.
Gump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Danny Langford (2/7/2009)can you tell me where the Pass is??

If you put in at the base..Im assuming Sherman Cove..Come out of the Cove take a left(east) go out to the channel and the Pass will be on your right(south) Its is where the bay meets the gulf...A guide would be a great idea in the future but it sounds like you want to fish tommorrow..Grab some live shrimp from Outcast on the way..Try fishing any structure you see near the pass..Should be some Sheephead, black drum and redfish hanging around..As for guides..I recommend Chris Phillips, Corey Maxwell or Matt Mcleod..If you want more info give me a shout..
Old 02-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

Launching at Sherman Cove can be tricky... it's VERY shallow outside the narrow channel so take it slow. You won't hurt your boat, but your ego will take a hit.

I'd head towards the long 3 mile bridge to the east... anchor up and throw out some live or dead shrimp on top and on the bottom very close to the old bridge structure. You'll catch White Trout, maybe a slot Redfish or two. Keep moving along the span till you find fish.

On the way, if you see diving pelicans and other diving birds,troll through them with a couple Stretch 30's, color doesn't really matter (I prefer black over gold, hot pink, red head, white body, or green tigerstripe). If you aren't familiar with trolling Stretch 30's, stop by Outcast and ask how to rig them. They're not cheap $14.00 or so each, but if you rig them right you won't lose one unless a toothy fish hits it... not likely this time of year. Troll slowly, just in gear or a little faster with a the drag set so you don't lose line as you troll, maybe 100' back or more... When a fish hits one, be patient, leave the boat in gear, and count to 15 or so... chances are you'll get a second hook up as well. They also make a Stretch 25... but they tend to get out of "tune" too easily and start to skip out of the water. They can be retuned, but I don't have the link to show you how... and the Stretch 30's work better anyway.

Two things... ONE...have these Stretch 30's hooked up and ready to goas you leave the dock, that way it'll take no time at all to deploy them if you see diving birds. If a fish (probably Bull Redfish) hits it it'll be obvious.

TWO... you can drag these lures in 2 feet of water and they'll just bounce off the bottom. They WILL hook structure though...

Get a pamplet with the rules if you want to keep fish though, and make sure everybody has a licence... you can get them at any bait store.

Good luck, take pictures, and report back...

Jim
Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
Sailfish

I pull our 29' luhrs out of sherman cove alot its shallow as stated so take your time but you should have no problem. left is the way to go or east.....try the pass but for a sure catch the three mile bridge the trout are still going off. good luck and God bless.

http://www.bayoujoes.com/

Team Hoo's ur Savior Hillcrest Baptist Church
inshorecatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
DWL
Trigger

Thanks for the help Guys. Bait? I heard I should use crabs. One more thing... Should I fish on bottom at 3 mile?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #10
Sailfish

Fiddler crabs are for sheephead but they will eat shrimp too..If the white trout bite is good use cut bait...Im sure there will be trout on bottom as well as redfish and maybe a flounder..Look for some structure on your bottom machine..the redfish are close to the pilings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in