Great Father-Son Trip - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 08-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Great Father-Son Trip

Dad was in town for the weekend and trout was on his brain. For some reason, he thinks a trout is the best tasting fish in the sea, so I figured I take him out to a few in the sound.On Sat. morning we launched on the north side of the sound and headed south to the grass flats. We were welcomed by mullet schools everywhere, plenty of busting on top of the water and almost slick conditions. My dad by no means is the most experienced angler, his idea of fishing is to throw out a live mullet on a 1 oz slip lead and wait. Well my goal was to get him to catch some fish using artificial, so after about 5 minutes of insisting to throw out a topwater lure, he did, so I tied on my favorite chugbug. His first couple casts, he didn't know what the hell to do, he kind of lazily realed it in while calling it a bullshit way to fish. Third cast hits the water, he looks at me while I'm showing him how to work his rod, and splash!! He's looking at me while I see his lure get ingulfed. Hilarious, something right out of "Man's favorite Sport". So he gets this fish to the boat, turns out to be a 26 3/4 in red, on our scale 6lbs 12oz. Talk about beginners luck...

With dad he likes to eat what he catches so in the box he went. Well after that he had a liiiitttttlllllleeee bit more confidence in his lure and spent the rest of the morning casting that chugbug, resulting in 4 trout( one 22incher), 4+- ladyfish, and another small red, best morning of fishing he said he's ever had. Almost made me tear up.

Come 8:30am, with the wind coming straight from the north, we decided to try the docks on the north end for some sight fishing. With dad on the boat I wanted him to be able to see a fish, cast at the fish, and catch the fish, soI decided to rig him up with live bait instead of artificial jerk baits. I fished on the north end a few times and know just how skittish those fish are so I caught some finger mullet, 4-5inchers, riggedour rods up with long15lb fluro leaders with 4/0 owner hooks. Hooked our mullets on and started down the docks. It now turned into a scaled down version of a cobia fishing trip, with live mullets in the water instead of eels. After messing up about 15-20 fish trying to let dad catch a fish, I finally had to cut in and take one, resulting in keeper red number two. Dad was in disbelief the whole time on the number of reds we were seeing and the depth of water that they were in.

We where back at the house by 10:30am. Father-son trip, CHECK!!! Total weight 12lbs 1oz on the two reds. Fish tasted great!
jimmyjams4110 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default RE: Great Father-Son Trip

Awesome report, and great job showing your father a great time!!
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Send a message via AIM to Tuna Man Send a message via MSN to Tuna Man Send a message via Yahoo to Tuna Man

Great story, nice catch on a what appears to be a fantastic day.:takephotoclap:clap

Tuna Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Sailfish

feels good when you can put family members on some quality fish. and boy did you do that. great job your dad should be very proud. when i take my dad it seems like the fish go and hide. the next day bam they are everywhere. i take pics and everything and he never believes me. one of these days i will make it happen. great job and thanks for sharing.
dailysaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
Sailfish

Some pretty reds.:clap
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Sailfish

Nice report. I haven't fish with artificials in a while, in fact need to get m out of the tackle box for some of the early morning action. I guess I preferred the live bait since they are everywhere in the bay this time of the year. Great report guys and thank you for the pics too. :clap
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Grouper

Now that was a great report! Nothing better than taking your Dad fishing. It sounds like the reds were right in between the docks.
wrightackle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Trigger

my dad is moving down here sometime this year...I'll probly have to live up to a few stories but cant wait to take him out :doh
tom1s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Sailfish

Nice Reds jimmy!

:bowdown
SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
Snapper

Good stuff man! Glad you got your dad on some fish.
PaleRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in