Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Ft. Pickens Trolling Macks

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Shark Sugar 
#1 ·
Went out today after the rain quit for a few hours and got into some Spanish. Were trying for King but nothing. Hookd something real big that almost spooled me and then broke the leader on my gotcha rod. and caught a few of these little creamy colored fish? is it a hardtail? What is it???

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Welcome to the northern Gulf Coast where a blue runner is a hardtail, a scaled sardine is an LY, a Spanish sardine is a herring, a false albacore is a bonita, an Atlantic bonita is a northern mackerel, a northern/Boston/tinker mackerel is a Speedo, a cobia is a ling and remoras are always a pain in the ass.
:D

#14 ·
Thanks for the local lingo education.... needed a good laugh. Watched a few videos of pier fishing in your area and was wondering what an LY was. Am hoping to come and check out a couple of piers over a weekend this fall. Am in the Gainesville area of north central FL, formerly from South East FL. Long time pier fisherman, over the years have caught all the ones you mentioned and many more... but never a remora...

#16 ·
Mack, you'll find we catch fish off the local piers that they don't in SE Florida. Lots of kings, sailfish, mahi, blackfin tuna. I've heard from a semi- reliable source that a Wahoo was hooked up this year.first year the old Dan Russel was built in Panama City, a blue marlin and a yellowfin were hooked, but not caught.

#24 ·
In between the sandbars or just past the 2nd bar in 10-20 feet of water...you will either see them on your bottom machine or see them on the surface...if there's buoys then get as close as you can and just start fan casting your sabiki rig... you will find them.

Make sure to use a heavier sabiki so you dont get stripped every cast...I often catch 4 or 5 good ones at a time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.