East river and East bay report - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Trigger

Default East river and East bay report

Went to Half Hitch this morning and got a couple dozen shrimp to go out in east bay with. Stopped at that tackle store on 399 by 87 and got a dozen shiners to try my hand at some crappie. Made it to the boat ramp on 87 at east river at 8:00. Motored up river for about 2 miles and threw out some shiners to "troll" with the current headed downstream. About 30 minutes in I landed a smallmouth bass off one of the shiners. Finished floating downstream and didn't get another bite. Tried throwing a few different ratL traps, some spinner baits, and a few different crappie jigs. Nothing was hungry. Got to the no wake zone and threw out a few spinners to troll out into the bayou there. Again, nothing wanted to eat them. Wound up stopping to tie up at the power lines to try for some sheepies. First 45 minutes there we landed 3 small sheephead. We kept feeding them for another hour and a half and finally I landed a good sized one. Didn't measure it, but it will make a good sandwich. Headed back up river towards the boat ramp and trolleda spinner and beetle bait. Again....Nothing was hungry. We did witness a guy land a keeper spec right at the mouth. All in all I can't complain. I went out, had fun, my brother had a good birthday, and I have dinner. Gonna try the Garcon Bridge on Sunday. I'll let ya'll know how that one goes. I uploaded a pic of the sheepie.
Attached Thumbnails
East river and East bay report-img_0073-jpg  
xxxxxxkidsoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: East river and East bay report

Gotta be a mighty big Crappie to eat a shiner Nice Sheepshead though. East river really seems to be slow this year for some reason. Years before in winter there were always tons of Specks and occasional Stripers between the boat ramp and the mouth to the bay.
F|nz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Trigger

Default RE: East river and East bay report

It was definately flowing today. I spent half the time in the river having to get on the trolling motor while my brother fished. I tried a few different crappie jigs to no avail. You know of any other live bait that will catch a mess? I'm new to this freshwater fishing. Been saltwater fishing for years, freshwater fishing for days. I've read up on this forum all I can.
xxxxxxkidsoncoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in