A decent night out - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 10-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
White Marlin

Send a message via Yahoo to konz
Default A decent night out

Snatch It and I decided to head out yesterday and try to catch some bull reds. The first place we stopped at was too crowded so we went to the base of 3 mile bridge. Met up with BigBrandon and Zahiti. We had a bucket of live shrimp (thanks Jon) and I walked down the wall and cast netted some LY. Threw an LY out and within 15 minutes I had a nice fish on. I was using 12lb line and had some fun with this one. Another guy there was also hooked up and at one moment our fish wanted to dance and I had to do all I could to steer my fish away from his which just added to the fun...netting those fish around those rocks can be a pain in the a$$. I did my best to keep him out of the sand but he did manage to flop off the wall while I was dehooking him. (that's why there is some sand on him) You can see the rod I caught him on in the background..........a good ol' zebco!!!! Just kidding it was some other guys rod that just happened to be in the background! Fishe measured 36"

Daniel releasing the fish

I'm not sure if it was before my first or after but Zahiti (Michael) hooked into a nice red. This fish measured at 31". I also want to add that for a guy that just took up fishing.....he is doing pretty good! His band is pretty kick ass too!

Shortly after Daniel gets his first fish of the night. Again the fish flopped off the seawall and got some sand on him. It was quickly released.

I know what you guys are thinking.......where is Brandons fish.......well after playing with the roller on his 706 for a while....pouting in the corner....whining about how it wasn't fare (j/k).......he got him one too......and a nice one at 38"

It slowed down after that, I caught some BIG croaker, and 1 spec. It doesn't look it with my mits holding it but the trout was around 17"......and was released. Was there for fun, not meat this trip.

About and hour or so goes buy with nothing but some white trout and small croaker and then something plays with daniels line.......a gar......yeah it took a dirt bath too......but it's a gar and they can survive nuclear blasts!

Well one of the croaker went out on my heavier rod and it soaked for a while.......but it paid off with this nice specimen. Nice and bronze.......measured at around 37"

All in all it was a good night. We got drizzled on a little but other than that the weather got very nice! We called it a night at around 1130.

Before anybody gives me any grief about the sand on the fish.......don't. I know it harms the slime coat......and believe me we tried to keep them on the wall while dehooking them.......two just didn't want to work with us. The pictures took all of a few seconds totake b/c while one guy was fighting, another was netting, and another stood buy ready with camera so that as soon as that hook came out and we lifted the fish to release it,a quick pic was snapped and the fish was released. ALL FISH WERE RELEASED.

See you guys out there!
konz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
eating tasty
White Marlin

Default RE: A decent night out

Nice report Konz, looks like a pretty good night to me! Its twice as fun catching fish when you're not spending money on gas. That last red sure is pretty
FenderBender is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Snapper

Great report Ray!!!! I wanted to go last night, but I just couldn't get away. Looks like I missed out :banghead :banghead
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
White Marlin

yeah i think that last red spent a little time in the river mouths before cruising into the bay.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
eating tasty
White Marlin

Quote:
konz (10/15/2009)yeah i think that last red spent a little time in the river mouths before cruising into the bay.
Is that what bronzes them up like that? I've always wondered why some come out looking like a new penny
FenderBender is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Had a blast fishing with you guys, thanks for all the tips. Can't wait to tear em up again.

Another excitement of that day was before you got there, I had my medium pole in a sandspike (obviously not hammered in enough) because when I got a hit the sandspike came out of the sand and my rod was centimeters from going into the water, luckily a little part got caught on the concrete wall, that definitely would've made that trip way more expensive.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Sailfish

You know, it is truly sad when the political police have everyone scared to post pictures for fear of scathing reviews of how they handled the fish.

Those fish looked just fine to me. Good job. If anyone says they were not handled OK, then that is their problem. You can't cure stupid.
angus_cow_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
White Marlin

Quote:
FenderBender (10/15/2009)
Quote:
konz (10/15/2009)yeah i think that last red spent a little time in the river mouths before cruising into the bay.
Is that what bronzes them up like that? I've always wondered why some come out looking like a new penny
That's what I've been told. I love it when they are bronze like that..........caught one out at the beach one time that was as white as the sand.......it's awesome how they do that. I've also been told that when you catch them and the trim on their tail is blue......that they've been eating crab.......again don't know if it's 100% true....just what I've been told.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Grouper

Looks like it was a fun night, thanks for sharing. I think it is time to chase some reds in the bay.
User1265 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
Mingo

Send a message via ICQ to saltcritter

Man, Ya'll really had a good night. The pics are awesome. gonna go try it tonight @ 3 mile. Big red for the birthday girl!:letsparty
saltcritter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in