Bitter sweet day with Capt Brant Peacher - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 09-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default Bitter sweet day with Capt Brant Peacher

On this particular morning I got the pleasure of guideing Mr. Randy Mcginnis on a very bitter sweet trip. The morning started off with lot's of trout action in the flats. To start off the morning Randy caught a nice trout on a chartruse Mirrolure. As Randy went to unhook the fish it tried for freedom burrying the treble hook deep into Randy's left middle finger. As soon as I saw it I knew he was in trouble or at least it wasn't going to be easy to remove. Randy got down on the deck to get the fish to quit flopping and in our haste to get him off the lure he got the second hook of the same treble in his thumb. So now his thumb is hooked to his middle finger. So the impaled thumb was not a huge problem cause we could push it on thru the skin and cut the barb off and remove it. The finger was a different matter. It was deep and impossible to bend enough to pop it out to cut the barb. Only option? The old mono line jerk technique that we had both read about but never had to use before. So just like they describe we ran 30# mono through the bend of the hook, Randy pushed down on the eye(we had removed the lure), and on 3 I jerked and out it came with very little damage to what was now the exit wound. So I made it bleed best I could, washed in the salt water and after a high five or two we went back to fishing. No real pain or swelling YET. Continued to catch a mixed bag of trout, lady fish, spanish mackeral, and even a nice bluefish. We boated 40 trout in all.

The finger gave Randy no problems for over 24 hrs. Unfortunately and as GH will confirm, puncture wounds can become big problems. If they become infected there is no place for the purulance to go and it will seek the path of least resistance. In Randy's case he went from no pain and no swelling to mega pain and mega swelling very quickly after the 24hr mark. Trip #1 to the ER at Gulf Breeze Baptist involved a very short wait, tetanus shot, and bilateral rump antibiotics and admonition to return Sun a.m. due to worries that the infection might invade the tendon sheath(not good). He didn't make it till Sun. He was back at the ER later Sat. evening due to swelling and color change in my finger. This time no waiting, bad news: probably need surgery next day, good news: best hand surgeon in N Florida was on call.

8 a.m. Sun morning Barry Callahan M.D. takes one look at Randy's hand and says "You're gonna get to be on the other end of anesthesia machine today". The infection had indeed entered the tendon sheath and extended from the finger tip into the palm. Fortunately it had not traveled into the wrist. Surgery went well and Randy was in the hospital till Wed waiting on the culture and sensitivities so they could get the specific antibiotics. Funny how things can turn around so quickly. Randy was an outstaning customer and fisherman and I hope to fish with him again soon.

Brant Peacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Default RE: Bitter sweet day with Capt Brant Peacher

Ouch, at least ya'll caught a pile of fish
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Grouper

Send a message via AIM to asago Send a message via Yahoo to asago

Glad to hear the hand is getting better... sounds like a close one - I think I'd need a couple shots before someone performed the "snatch" technique on me....

georgiafishingbooks.com
panhandlefishingbooks.com

asago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Sailfish

yea id need a handle of jack daniels before i even thought about that
User6882 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Mingo

Some people will do anything to get out of cleaning fish.LOL Good Luck with the healing process.
slipsinker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
White Marlin

damn Brant!!!!
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Sailfish

I've had a treble hook buried in my hand, not fun at all. Well hopefully that surgery will take care of any problems and it will heal quickly. I'm not sure about rinsing an open wound in the saltwater...anyone else? ~L
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Sailfish

Quote:
Linda&Ernie (9/26/2009)I've had a treble hook buried in my hand, not fun at all. Well hopefully that surgery will take care of any problems and it will heal quickly. I'm not sure about rinsing an open wound in the saltwater...anyone else? ~L
I am not really sure about that either....I have heard two different sides... I would like to know though
Brant Peacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
tat
Ruby Red Lip

I don't know about the value of a saltwater rinse, but the snatch method works like a charm. I got snagged by a small trout on a crank bait earlier this summer. Fortunately, it was a family outing so I had my wife with me. We taped up the other exposed hooks to avoid an re-hooking and SNATCH out came the bad one. Very little pain or other problems.

We did keep an eye on the puncture wound for a few days, but no complications.
tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #10
Trigger

ouch. I got a hook from a gotcha plug threw the inside meat of my left ring finger right where the ring would be trying to get a spanish off about 3 years ago. one pair of pliers and blinding pain later it was out. I washed it with whiskey and a clean cloth then wrapped it in duck tape and more clean cloth, neosporin for a few days..it was sore but thank God no infection. I watched it and was worried as hell cause iv seen this happen before. dang trebble hooks...
tom1s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in