3 mile bridge Friday night 5.09.08 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 05-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Snapper

Default 3 mile bridge Friday night 5.09.08

I worked at a store in Pensacola yesterday, instead of my usual store in Pace, that is only about a half mile from my house. Lighttackle2fun called me around 3 and asked if I was up for a trip. He knew I was working in P'cola and by the time I drove home to get the boat and back it just wouldn't be worth it. So he asked if I wanted to fish with him on his skiff. Lighttackle and I have fished together more times than I can count, but it has always been in my glastron. This was my first time fishing from the skiff, we found fish, and I had a blast. Lighttackle already had the boat in the water by the time I made it to 17th at around 8:30. He managed to wrangle a few bait fish, so armed with those and a considerable supply of gulp we were off. We anchored in a familliar spot and started out with 2 rods with live bait in the holders, and I was lightly jigging a rod with a lightweight jighead and new penny shrimp. Before you can say fish on, one of the rods with the live bait was bowed and howling. I snatched it up and after tangling with one of the other lines I got the fish to the boat....thanks to lightackle for the untangling and the netting. A nice bull red maybe a little under 30 inches.

We toss another live bait on and continue our quest, when bam I'm bowed up again this time with the new penny gulp. I don't know why but this fish swam right up to the boat and just kinda chilled, he didn't even really fight much untill he saw the net. After that he struggled for 3 or 4 minutes, diveing down towards the bottom and makeing quick torpedo passes by the side of the boat. After a few tries we netted bull number 2. Another 30 inch hoss

So at this point I have caught like 3 skipjack and a red on the new penny so lighttackle, who had been catching pin fish and a random skipjack (snagged in the tail) with a sabikki bait rig decides to put on a jighead and a gulp. A wise decision, because not 3 minutes later he was on with a rootbeer gulp mullet. After a gallant battle I netted red number 3, sorry no pic (lighttackle has them look for his post soon) he was probably right under 30. So a few more skipjack later watchout, lighttackle's drag is screaming yet again. This puppy has some size to it and he must have faught it for close to 10 minutes. He brings the fish to the boat and I net, thats right red number 4. This one was also coaxed in on a gulp rootbeer mullet. So we are catching skipjack faster than we can cast, and I had forgoten about that live finger mullet chilling in the pole holder. Well, here we go again with a bent rod and a wailing drag. Lighttackle snags it out of the holder and FISH ON again. Another big boy he was over 30 and fat, fat, fat. I net him and thats right guys and gals red number 5. Unfortunately all the while we are out the wind is blowing harder, so at this point we decide to head in. On the way out the bay was already throwing 2 footers at us and we got sprayed pretty good in the skiff. Well by now we are being rocked by the occassional 3 foot swell, so we make our way back in after another great night of fishing. While trying to get the skiff on the trailer in the nasty wind, lighttackle poped his shoulder out of socket...OOOUCH...luckaly it popped back in and we got the boat out of the water after a little coaxing. Oh yeah and we were almost attacked by a huge rat at the launch, I swear that thing was almost as big as my dog. Despite all the snafu's at the end we still had another great night trip to 3 mile.

Glastronix
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Default RE: 3 mile bridge Friday night 5.09.08

Thanks for the report, what is a skipJack?

Jim
Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Trigger

Nice catch guys, I wasn't about to make it out there last night. And instead of putting the boat in the water this weekend, I am putting on a coat of wax. Since the days are nice but the wind is kicking up the waves, I figured I would atleast do something with the boat. Glad to hear you guys did good.
Doogiesar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
Snapper

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl2_lblFullMessage>Thanks for the report, what is a skipJack?

Jim

<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl2_lblPostSignature>Jim Summers</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
A skipjack is also called a ladyfish by some, but us rednecks call 'em skipjacks.

Glastronix
Old 05-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Does the tide effect the fishing around 3 mile
Rover2coool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Sailfish

Sounds like a good time:clap
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
Trigger

I think that the tide still effects the fishing at 3 mile. I usually fish the front side of the bridge to where the tide is going. I haven't had much luck on a slack tide out there. Some of the other guys have been out there more regulary than I have might have more advice. good luck.
Doogiesar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #8
Snapper

As long as the tide is moving, I have found fish out there. I have had the best luck on a fast moving out going tide. You can catch fish out there in just about any tide, but if you are looking for the reds, a fast moving tide has produced the best results for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in