3 mile 5.03.08 Saturday Night - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
Snapper

Default 3 mile 5.03.08 Saturday Night

I got off work at 5 Saturday night, went home and called lighttackle. I found out that he wasn't going to be able to make the trip, so I gave my Dad a call and made plans to leave around 6. We had the boat at 17th by 7 and we were fishing by 7:30. I had one rod rigged and ready,free lining a power bait mullet so I chunked it in and set it in the left rod holder while Dad and I were riging the other rod's. A few minutes later I glanced up and the rod in the holder was bent over almost double. Well my Dad was between myself and the rod in question so I was yelling Dad...Dad...Grab that rod...Dad....I guess he was in another world because by the time he snatched it out of the holder, you guessed it, no fish:banghead :banghead I think it was a red but who knows for sure. It wasn't even Dark yetwhen that happened, but the sun was on it's way down. We finally got everything ready and really started fishing, when we realized that we must be fishingright on top of halfof the old bridge. It didn't matter were we decided to cast we ended up hung on the bottom. With jig heads, hung, free lining, hung, it didn't matter. So after sacrificing many gulps, jig heads, and hooks, I moved the boat. Now that we could fish without getting snagged on rubble, the white trout bite started. Once again we were slaying them, so we decided we wereonly keeping biger ones 14 inches or above.We stayed in that spot for about2 hours and no sign of the reds. The tide was pretty slow, and then it started to come in. I have always had the best luck with the reds on a fast out going tide, so I was about to give up on seeing any. Lo and behold I got a little nibble, it felt like a trout, so I set the hook. I couldn't belive it, the drag started going like crazy on one of those typical bull red runs. I bowed up a little more,reeled a few times, and another run of the drag. Next I felt a couple of head shakes, and then nothing:boo Well at least I had one for a minute or so. So after that we stayin that spot another hour, all the while cathing white trout on new penny gulp. Oh by the way the red I hung was also on anew penny. So we move again, and this time no bites at all:banghead :banghead :banghead There were alot of boats out so some of the spots I wanted to fish were already taken, so I try a spot I have never fished before. As soon as we pull up, the white trout are acting like they have never been fed. So we decide to stay and catch the little silver guys. After about an hour at that spot, I am reeling in a new penny to make aother cast, when I see a big fish in the edge of the light just behind my bait. I stop reeling and jig down, and bam a splash....FISH ON...I saw the fish so I know it has some size to it, but it isn't fighting like a big red? I get it to the boat andDad tries to net it, and when the net touches it,the fish jumps into the air and out of the net. I have never seen a red do that. I get the fish back into position and Dad nets it this time:clap He lays it in the floor and I shine the light on it and it is a 241/2 inch speck:bowdown :bowdown

Here is a better pic of it

A nice speck:clapWell that wasthe best fish for that night. The reds remained some what elusive again, but no moon and incoming tide have never been the best conditions for them. Besides there is always next time...who knows maybe even tonight. All and all it was still afantastic night fishing, and I encourage anyone who hasn't gotten out there at night to do it. You never know what you might catch, and you almost never have a disappointing trip. Dad also caught another baby red grouper, about 13 inches, on a gulp smoke mullet. Good luck and good fishing to everybody.

Glastronix
Glastronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
Trigger

Default RE: 3 mile 5.03.08 Saturday Night

very nice speck
yucarenow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Mingo

nice report and speck !!! :clap
seapro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Sailfish

I'd give you one of these :bowdown

And one of these :clap

But you already gave yourself both in your report.......so I'll give you one of these :moon

Just kidding........nice spec and report!
Death From Above is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Sailfish

Nice fish:clap
wirenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Trigger

Nice report and pics, 3 mile has alot of nice spots in shallow and in the deeper water. The structure you found probably held some fish but it is a real pain at night when you have to keep re tieying rigs alot. Nice Speck, I have yet to get a speck this year. Maybe on Tuesday. Thanks for posting.
Doogiesar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Nice Speck....clap
big bites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Mingo

Sweeeet....thanks for postingclap
FishVan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
Sailfish

Man....I really enjoy reading your reports . Thanks again...:clap
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
Sailfish

Looks like you got what you targeted! a good Spec' O Fishing helps us keep a better outlook on life when we're working! Great job!
Shiznik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in