"ReelHappy" goes Inshore - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Reports

Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Sailfish

Default "ReelHappy" goes Inshore

Took Scot, aka "ReelHappy" on a shallow water Redfish hunt, reportand pics tommorrow, too tired to do it now!

TEASER..... (REPORT IS A FEW MORE POSTS DOWN)

SolarFlare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: "ReelHappy" goes Inshore

So Jeff - did Scott get unhooked from the bottom there, or did he lose that rig? oke
need2fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
Grouper

not to brag but out fished jeff!
reelhappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Grouper

and we all know you don't brag huh Scott???oke
Old 02-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
Grouper

i know but had to make it sound good. that pic was me trying to get that red up off the bottom. man that's tuff with those little poles. had to get use to casting all over again ( last five years it's just drop straight down 350 feet) . but i will tell ya yanking them off the bottom in shallow water is easyer on the back and arms! had a blast today thank you bay pirate. you got a nice ride their!

scot
Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
Sailfish

So here's the report....

Beautiful day, water was flat early but temp was at 49.5d, not good! (It did make 58d by early afternoon on the mud flats)

Saw fish at the 1st stop, a number of specs milling around, and a few schools of small bait, good signs that Spring is on the way! We chased down some diving gulls to find out a homeowner had pitched some bread in the water, BUT, guess what, it brought a few "tailers" over to see what all the commotion was too! However we couldn't get their attention:banghead.

As we headed to a nearby spot, several boats came zooming in so we pulled the trolling motor and went looking for some privacy! Finally found some peace and quiet, and some flat water out of the wind, Power Pole down and started working the area 20yds at a time till we finally got a hook up...(NOTE- the fish were there I saw'em, but getting them to eat was a challenge)

This 20"red was gut hooked and had about a number 6 or 7 huge treble hook in his mouth, have no idea how he got it, or my bait eitherfor that matter,but his mouth was pretty beat up! He was not going to make it so in the ice box he went. Hated to keep him, but no sense wasting him.

ThenI put Scot on a small school of short reds, gave him a few tips and let him a little fun! Of course this is the size fish he uses for bait! :doh

ThenI picked up another slot, released for another day!

Saw a lot of fish, but getting them to bite was challenge, we would throw on them and they would just sit there and ignore the baits. As the water warmed up they started moving around a little.

Saw one school of about 20 small reds, come around a point, see us, scream then turn around &amp;<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Skedaddle off, it was pretty funny!

Had a good time watching Scot with the light action rods,I think they were like toothpicks to him!

While other baits were tried, all fish were caught on 1/8oz jig and gulp jerkbaits. 9 reds, 2 slots!

Based on the numbers of fish I'm seeing, i think we're going to have a great spring!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
Grouper

whats the plastic bag for , to suffocate him.
tailfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Grouper

had a great time but i will tell ya kinda miss that 3 hour nap on the bean bag that i get on the way out to the rigs! but it's about time that i learned some of the inshore spots in my back yard! gotta do it again. but couldn't imagine being where we were in the spring when the bugs were out. ( no bugs 70 miles offshore) i hate bugs! but the fishing was fun. just have to get use to that casting thing again! and wear my glasses to see the eye hole on the jig! everything offshore is big enough to see without glasses! us old folks the peers don't work as good. and the fish cleaning dosen't take as long inshore. 1 red instead of 500 pounds of grouper,aj's and tuna! so it dose have some advantages. looking forward to doing it again. maybe next time the reds will be a little hungryer. been here 5 years still have not caught a slot red! but caught my first rat red cute little guy with 3 spots! see ya out there fish on!

scot
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Sailfish

Hi Scot, after reading other reports, looks like we had a pretty good day! Also, my wife informed me that the Whoopie Pie you gave mewas pretty darngood, but unnfortunately,I didn't any! :doh

Guess I'll have to take you again to get another!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in