Winter Grass Flats Strategy - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Sailfish

Default Winter Grass Flats Strategy

Mid summer, Dad and I did a lot of grass flats fishing. The specks were great, but we had to fight off a lot of pin fish too. Also caught reds, lots of croaker, and the occasional spanish mack.

How is the grass flats fishing during these cold months? Is it better or worse? What bite is hot and what bite is not? Early am? Nighttime? Mid day?

This is my first winter fishing, and so far all I've done is fish the bridge this winter. I would like to give it a shot and need to go prepared and with a strategy in mind.
choppedliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Grouper

Default RE: Winter Grass Flats Strategy

I have some observations about "grass flats". I lived in Innerarity Point for 25 years before moving to East Milton a couple of years ago and I have noticed a huge difference from the grass flats in Ole River and Big Lagoon versus the the grass flats in Blackwater Bay and river. I did a lot of dip netting to maintain my two saltwater aquariums and the grass in Ole River/Big Lagoon ALWAYS had shrimp, though they were smaller in the winter as well as small blue crabs, spider crabs, pipe fish, sea horses, blennys, oysterfish, sole, pinfish, grunts, sculpins, etc., every time you dipped the net you had a load of stuff, but, not up here in the grass beds of Blackwater Bay. It is very different, I have tried and I don't get anything!Catching bait up here seems so much harder, I get some bull minnows, topminnows. finger mulletand mollys around the mouth of Fundy Bayou, but, that is over, sand not grass. I guess this is because of the salinty level of the bay. Has anyone else noticed that the grass flats of the lower bays are vastly more productive than the upper bays, or am I looking in the wrong spots?
BentStraight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Sailfish

I would be primarily concerned with the grass flats in the intracoastal such as near portofino, johnsons beach, etc. Anyone?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

i have never really had much luck on the flats in winter time...try creek mouths and deep holes if you wanna catch some trout...croakers will catch some bigguns right now
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Sailfish

I guess what Im saying is, IF I were to go to these areas I mentioned, at this time of year, what would I expect to catch? Or is this just not the time to be fishing grass flats? I understand other areas may be more productive, but I am specifically asking about these areas at this time of year, because fishing the flats in the summer was some of my most enjoyable fishing
Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

Quote:
choppedliver (1/21/2010)I guess what Im saying is, IF I were to go to these areas I mentioned, at this time of year, what would I expect to catch? Or is this just not the time to be fishing grass flats? I understand other areas may be more productive, but I am specifically asking about these areas at this time of year, because fishing the flats in the summer was some of my most enjoyable fishing

there should be some fish there just not as many as the summer...becasue the fish move seasonally in search of food and warmer/colder water
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

I used to fish Naval Live Oaks pretty hard 3-4 times a week. Early March seems to start the spring season but i would look for bait for awhile before I would leave the beach. If no bait was moving, I went elsewhere. If there were bait fish along the bank, fish are there. I always freespooled live minnows (fings, croaker, and pinfish mostly) and have left them biting many times in the spring and through the hot months. Ive even caught them in less than a foot of water that were studs. Good Luck.
unibober is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 12:54 AM   #8
Trigger

Grew up fishing on them. Winter isn't worth your time. Things start getting better closer to April and May.
BullBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in