Will be in Gulf Shores next week....hoping for advice - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By badonskybuccaneers

Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Will be in Gulf Shores next week....hoping for advice

I am new to this forum, but not new to Inshore Saltwater fishing. I am an avid inshore fisherman from Texas in my mid-forties, and on my local CCA Chapter board for 15 years now. I have been fishing saltwater for about 35 years at least.

Anyway, I will be in Gulf Shores July 14-18 with the family and would like some advice from folks down that way. I am planning on bringing some of my gear, with an assortment of plastics, spoons, topwaters, wading belt, etc...

I have always wondered about the lagoon area behind the main beachfront. Is it accessible for wade fishing, should I rent a kayak? I will have my 10 year old son with me and he loves to fish also.

Is fishing the Surf near all the beach front condos something I should give a try to? Any tips would be appreciated.

Does anyone know of a Flounder gigging guide in the area that may have an opening that week? We would love a flounder trip, or an inshore trip with a reputable guide.

Also, some family we will be there with usually rents a pontoon boat for a day or half day and pulls some tubes down the beach. Are there other boat types for rent, like a center console we could do a bit of fishing off too?

We'll be down for a week and we want to do some fishing. Don't need lots of bites, but my son likes to catch em if they are around. How about night fishing? We love it under the lights here in Texas. Are there any good places near Gulf Shores for that?

I appreciate any info anyone can offer.
Aggieangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
I pegged my fishometer
Grouper

Gulf Shores July 14-18your best day is probably goign to be the 14th. the Tide is neaping after that but I don't have the local advice for Gulf Shores.
Johnms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

You should make a trip down the road to SAMs stop and shop, Canal Rd, Orange Beach! See Chris, he'll put you on the hot spots and what to use. He works Wed thru Sun, usually after 1pm.
The little lagoon area is usually great for wade fishing at the pass. Bring your favorite artificials. There is a nice sandbar north of the bridge into the lagoon. I like early morning and late afternoons. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how to fish it- watch the tides. It's a popular spot for trout and some flounder.

If you fish the surf on the beach, look for breaks in the sandbar. You can fish sand fleas, shrimp, cut bait, artificials.... Pompano, redfish, bluefish... Anything is possible out there! There aught to be some tarpon being hooked off the beach, especially down west beach.
Check out some of the boat rental places in the area, Happy Harbor, I think, is one that offers CC for rent. You can also get kayaks, paddle boards, etc...
Night fishing under the lights is pretty popular here... By boat, by kayak, and floundering too.
Anyhoo- see Chris! Have fun! Hook a lot, take a couple home, leave a few for the posterity of the species.
Johnms and PJIII like this.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve

Last edited by badonskybuccaneers; 07-10-2014 at 09:54 PM.
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Default thanks for the info

i will give that little lagoon a try one morning early.
Aggieangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
Land-Locked
Grouper

Anyone know how the construction on the West Pass bridge is coming? That might be something to factor in...
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeTurnAccelerate View Post
Anyone know how the construction on the West Pass bridge is coming? That might be something to factor in...
It's coming along, but not much of a factor in using the pass to wade fish. I've launched my kayak from there 3 times in the past week, and no problems. I didn't notice whether you can still walk under the bridge to the beach, but my guess would be "no" as they are working on the bridge.

To the OP, if you can get a boat, you can fish the sand bar edges along the north shore across from the pass. We've picked up a lot of trout, along with a few reds and flounder as well. The hit topwater early AM, then grubs throughout the rest of the morning.

Mark
markbxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in