where would you go? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default where would you go?

so I am taking my son out fishing sunday we are renting a whaler from sherman cove. We got 11 miles either way to travel, but I really don't know where to go. Any help would be much appreciated. I was thinking of fishing the pass right out of the marina or head down to big lagoon and see what we find there.
txsaltwatercwboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
White Marlin

Try hitting the Jetties on the West side of the Pass. Also drifting the deeper water in the Pass West of the Channel markers can produce some really nice Redfish, red snapper and sheepshead!
www.southagain.com
www.pensacolafishcharters.com
[email protected]
Inshore/Nearshore Charters
Brad King is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Default thanks

west would be referring to the fort pickens side correct? So I guess drifting down by big lagoon would be out of question...i am trying to catch anything reds,trout, something to put a smile on his face
txsaltwatercwboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
Grand Slam

I would try the grass flats the north side of Johnson Beach (stay on the outside so as to not tear them up, they take YEARS to grow back, you will see some boats in the grass, but they should be using a trolling motor which doesn't tear up the grass and bottom) early, then move to the docks on the north side of Big Lagoon as the sun gets up.

Then try the pipe jetty and rock jetties on the west side of the pass. (That's the side opposite Ft Pickens)

Finally throw a pompano jig up on the beach just past the rock jetty and bounce it back to the boat.

I'm pretty sure you are not allowed into the gulf.

If you see a lot of pelicans diving run up to the area, stay outside and throw a jig(Size doesn't matter, but heavier is easier to cast) into the area where the pelicans are working. Don't just blast the boat through the area, the reds will spook and go down. You can also slow troll a Stretch 15 or Stretch 30 along the edge too.

Try to figure out which way the pelicans are moving (they follow the reds which are driving baitfish to the surface) and try to work the leading edge of the area.

Stop by West Marine and pick up a plastic chart of the bay, then walk into Outcast next door as ask where all these places are. Take some white tape and put a piece on the chart and label it.

Jim

Last edited by jim t; 03-07-2011 at 12:57 PM.
jim t is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in