What's up with Gulf Breeze boat ramp fee? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 07-06-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default What's up with Gulf Breeze boat ramp fee?

I have been very fustrated this summer with Gulf Breeze Boat launches(Shoreline and 3-mile bridge). I really like launching from either of them, but I thought they have always been free to the public. They both say public parks. Sometimes there is someone collecting $10 and sometimes not. Lately I just go to the one that doesnt have anyone collecting. Are there set pay launching hours. I could not find any info on the gulf breeze web site. Anyone else noticed any trends?
jwebster98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Sailfish

Default RE: What's up with Gulf Breeze boat ramp fee?

I think you are supposed to pay every time, even when no ones there, using the "honor box." You can get a yearly sticker for $50 at shoreline.
true-king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Where is the office to buy this sticker? City Hall?

There really should be something about all this on there website: http://www.cityofgulfbreeze.com/parks/index.html
jwebster98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

You can get it from the dude at shoreline.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Mingo

I am frustrated with that too and I don't use either one of those ramps. The idea of paying to launch a boat on a public ramp just doesn't seem right. Is Gulf Breeze really that stretched on money? Someone let me know if I am missing something, but I would have a hard time "honoring" that system.
pb&jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

10 bucks for a shallow water, crowded boat ramp. My blood pressure gets too high from the yahoos who don't know proper boat launch etiquette. It's not worth the money to me. Of course, that won't keep me from using it because it is in a great location. I'll just need to remember to take deep, cleansing, breaths!
Promark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
Grouper

Up until this past April 2008, the daily launch fee was $5.00 or $40.00 for annual pass. Now it is $10.00 for daily fee or $50.00 for annual pass. The way I understand it is that the city of GB owns both ramps. Guess they are trying to re-coup their funds for rebuilding after Ivan, and preparing funds for the next storm. I usually launch at Oriole Beach or Woodlawn Beach. Both are free ramps, but you have to pay attention to the tidel movement. Very shallow.

GEAUX TIGERS! GEAUX SAINTS!
FishinFool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
pb&jellyfish (7/7/2008)I am frustrated with that too and I don't use either one of those ramps. The idea of paying to launch a boat on a public ramp just doesn't seem right. Is Gulf Breeze really that stretched on money? Someone let me know if I am missing something, but I would have a hard time "honoring" that system.
The answer is No. Gulf Breeze is not stretched for money. They are verystrong financially and its partly because they take every opportunity to pass fees along to the end users. They loan money to other counties who don't and I don't see what's wrong with paying $10 to launch your boat at a $5million boat ramp that is upkept and insured by the rest of us. I pay $400 per month for my Marina.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #9
Trigger

10 Bucks seems a bit steep to me also. I live in Pace so I dont launch there but I would think 4 or 5 would be more reasonable. Just my two cents.
Greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
Mingo

Quote:
Xanadu (7/8/2008)
Quote:
pb&jellyfish (7/7/2008)I am frustrated with that too and I don't use either one of those ramps. The idea of paying to launch a boat on a public ramp just doesn't seem right. Is Gulf Breeze really that stretched on money? Someone let me know if I am missing something, but I would have a hard time "honoring" that system.
The answer is No. Gulf Breeze is not stretched for money. They are verystrong financially and its partly because they take every opportunity to pass fees along to the end users. They loan money to other counties who don't and I don't see what's wrong with paying $10 to launch your boat at a $5million boat ramp that is upkept and insured by the rest of us. I pay $400 per month for my Marina.
I kinda figured Gulf Breeze has money, but was just checking. I guess $10 is different depending on the situation. If someone is running offshore from that launch, the fee isn't that much considering the total cost of the trip. If someone wants to fish the bay for a few hours, $10 might be the same as the money spent on gas; that means you gotta spend $20 to go catch a redfish or a couple of trout. I do most of my fishing inshore, so I admit my viewpoint is a little skewed. I am just going to hold back on saying too much regarding the large amount of money you spend on fishing vs. your opinion on a $10 fee. I know if I had the money to fish how you do, I would be saying the same thing (sorry if I am assuming too much but you kinda gave some clues with your icon and marina statement). Still, I am sure you know what I am talking about when it comes to keeping cost down since you are paying twice as much to run out.

In any case, a city is responsible for providing recreational use areas; that's why we pay taxes. I sure never want to pay money to walk in a park; a boat launch might cost more to maintain, but even that can be argued. I guess a line has to be drawn somewhere.

A $10 fee is pretty genius if you think about it being a deterrent. If everyone wants to use the prime ramp and things get crazy, slap a fee on there to spread people out. If the crowd is still too heavy, raise the fee even more. Hopefully this is the case and it's not someone needing more money.
pb&jellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in