What kind of spinning reel & and rod do I use - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default What kind of spinning reel & and rod do I use

I'm planning a trip to do some inshore fishing and have never been I would like to know what spinning reel & rod combo is good for red's trout and snook fishing, one that is not going to break the bank
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Send a message via AIM to fisheye48

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
I'm planning a trip to do some inshore fishing and have never been I would like to know what spinning reel & rod combo is good for red's trout and snook fishing, one that is not going to break the bank
whats your idea of breaking the bank? $100/combo, $200/combo?
fisheye48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Ugly Stick / Shimano Spheros 3000 or 4000.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
White Marlin

My favorite middle of the line brand that isn't expensive at all is a quantum reel. Rod depends on your taste.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Less than 150
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
White Marlin

Look at a quantum triax. It is only about 40 for the reel and it is one of the smoothest reels I've ever used. If you WANT to spend more money on it then I'd suggest a spheros like said above.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Roll Tider
White Marlin

You can find some good shimano or penn inshore combos for 150 or less. You really don't want anything too big. A good example of rod and reel would be a 7 ft medium action rod, with a reel that holds about 250 yards of 12lb test. This should handle just about anything you want to do in the bay or ICW. (except shark fish, or bottom fish for the grouper/snapper in the bay)
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Grouper

Champ-------
All of the advice given on here is good advice---But if it were me i would go to a Sporting Goods Store-and there are many good ones--and tell the clerk what you need and how much you want to spend--have them spool the line on it for you and you are ready to go. I would suggest a 6-6 1/2 foot rod with a Spinning Reel with 12 Lb line and there are many good combos. Dont spend the money for Salt Water Gear just wash it good after each trip and it will last for many years.----Good Luck-------BT66
----------I dont know where you will be fishing but Snook may be hard to find around here--but good luck-------------------
BASSTRACKER66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Location: PC Fl., Orange Bch, Eufaula Al., Lake Seminole Ga. , Camden Al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSTRACKER66 View Post
Champ-------
All of the advice given on here is good advice---But if it were me i would go to a Sporting Goods Store-and there are many good ones--and tell the clerk what you need and how much you want to spend--have them spool the line on it for you and you are ready to go. I would suggest a 6-6 1/2 foot rod with a Spinning Reel with 12 Lb line and there are many good combos. Dont spend the money for Salt Water Gear just wash it good after each trip and it will last for many years.----Good Luck-------BT66
----------I dont know where you will be fishing but Snook may be hard to find around here--but good luck-------------------

This is Great Advise, as long as you go to a store where the clerk is up to date, experienced and actually uses the products they sell. In other words don't go to Academy, Bass Pro Shops, Dicks, Walmart as most of the employee's clerks are there just to get product for you, ring you up, keep you from stealing and maybe look good.

Go to a local Tackle Shop where the employees ALL fish just like you and will bend over backwards to assure your getting what you pay for and all you can get.

Good Luck and post some pictures of the catch.

Garbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Squid technician
Grand Slam

If you're planning on using it on snook as well, I'd get a rod 7'0 to 7'6". The extra length can help with not only longer casts, but getting better angles of pull on a mangove or dock-bound snook. I've been able to make some great saves on snook that brought me into piers by being able to get that rod tip the extra distance behind a piling and keeping the line off.

A rod rated 8-17lb would be about right. It'll be light enough for even smaller school sized trout and heavy enough for a big snook. You'll be able to fish small live baits as well as topwaters, jigs, etc.

Regardless of which brand, someone above said it right with having a reel that holds about 200-250yds of 12lb line. If the reel comes with a spare spool, even better. I'd keep 20-30lb braid on one and 12lb mono on the other. The reason for using a reel that large on trout and reds is not so much because of them as much as the snook, jacks and others. If you are fishing in an area where you can target snook, then there are likely jack crevalle, tarpon and other larger inshore game. You don't want to get caught with a setup that won't cut it when a group of 60-80lb poons comes rolling in casting casting range. If you're fishing those areas, it will happen eventually and this size can get it done.

You will be able to find plenty of options in the price range you're asking. I'd also suggest going to your local tackle shop and looking at several setups.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in