Want to put my 4 year old on some reds - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Want to put my 4 year old on some reds

Hey everyone I am new to Pensacola, and new to the site as well but I am just looking for some places I could take my son fishing and maybe get him onto some reds or specks or anything for that matter. Any information would be awesome and I would be forever grateful, he is a great kid and just loves to fish!!
Cuddy52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
Grouper

take him to the pier let him catch hardtails or any bait on sabikis and hope someone catches a king that will make his day just seeing the fish thats what got me into it
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Young Pier Rat
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedline View Post
take him to the pier let him catch hardtails or any bait on sabikis and hope someone catches a king that will make his day just seeing the fish thats what got me into it
I agree with taking him to the pier too. As long as he can catch some fish, he will be happy. Big hardtails can pull drag on a reel too...
Jackin' 'Em Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
Kim
Blue Marlin

Your four year old son can very well be precocious and have the reasoning, strength and dexterity to catch Red Fish and Speckled Trout. To date I have never seen a four year old catch and land a fish in a bream pond on their own. Like the previous guys posted, take him to the pier, use a sabiki and help him catch fish for a year of two until he is able to do it on his own. By then he will be ready to tackle something bigger and stronger. Now a lot of guys here will say their four year olds can reel in monster fish. To date I haven't seen a video or a pic of some four year old, standing like the old man and the sea from Hemmingway, reeling in that keeper snapper all on his own.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
Trigger

You can try 3 mile bridge as well. There should be alot of pinfish and grunts there this time of year. You'll also have a chance at hooking into a red, but I agree, even a rat red would be alot for a 4-year old.
c_stowers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Grouper

Some of my favorite memories are catching pinfish with my kids at that age.
finfever61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Grouper

im sure some 4 year olds could handle a trout or red at 5 i caught a a 5.5 lb trout off the beach at st george made the cast and fought the fish all by myself on cut mullet believe it or not but the pier is just fun for kids they can catch fish and if they get tired they can watch others catch fish
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Kim
Blue Marlin

I would love to see a video of a four year old fishing like Skeet Reese!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
FSR
Ruby Red Lip

I'm only speaking for myself but I started my kids fishing on docks. I set both of them up with a single hook rig on a bobber for pin fish. That was more then enough for them.
Sure if fish are jumping on the hooks go for the trouts and reds. My kids didn't care what they caught as long as they catching not fishing!

If you ask me 4 years old and a sabaki accident waiting to happen. Hmm just think if you hook a few hardtails at once.
Kim likes this.
Florida-Lis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
Sailfish

Take him to the pier for some hard tail, lady fish, blue fish, spanish action...I'd suggest a light rod and reel with a gotcha bucktail (cut the treble hook out) . he'll love it.

Want to put my 4 year old on some reds-%24-kgrhqvhje4fjzw-e0mfbseluu-g-q%7E%7E60_3-jpg
Fishermon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in