visiting 9/12-9/19 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 09-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default bay/flats tips

Hi y'all-

I'll be coming home to P'cola for a visit next week, and I'm bringing my Action Craft Fastbasser. We're staying on the bay close to Ft. Pickens.

Most of my salt experience is fishing light tackle and flies for trout and reds on the flats near Port Aransas, TX.

I do have 1 heavier (60lb range) baitcaster that I'd like to use for bottom fishing near the bridge.

I expect to use my lighter rods on the grassy flats in the sound. they're rigged with 20-30lb braid and fluoro leaders.

I'm not used to needing steel leaders; are they always recommended? What length/strength is appropriate?

I see a lot of talk here about the mirrolure MR17. What colors are good for P'cola bay?

What size/color sabiki is best?

Assuming ideal conditions, is it generally considered safe to run a 17'6" flats boat into the gulf?

My Dad still lives in East Hill near Texar, and has a bigger boat, but I intend to be on the water pretty much constantly, so I'm trying to be self sufficient and get all the knowledge in advance that i can.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

PS- any advice for catching the blue angels practice from the water near the base?

Last edited by Fastbasser; 09-06-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Fastbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2015, 10:44 PM   #2
Snapper

Steel leaders are generally a no-no unless targeting king/spanish mackerel, sharks, etc. Most of our sought after inshore/offshore food/gamefish, while fairly toothy, are readily caught, with few break-offs, on fluoro leaders. Using steel...well you might as well wear dark socks, shorts with sandals...we'll know you're not local.

Only a few MR17 colors, and all seem to work very well. My favorite is the redish.

17 footers seen within 7 or so miles of coast all the time when conditions right. Better yet though, take your dads boat if you can.

Your other questions...I don't know.

Good fishing.
SWAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2015, 06:02 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info.

I had a fish hook up and break off instantly last august at the channel to the CG dock at ft pickens. Coulda been a shark, i never saw it. At that time i had a 14' jonboat, and the weather was so calm i was able to run out as far as the Mass. The water was so clear you could see the bottom in 25 fow. Great trip, but the fishing was tough. I blame it on the heat...
Fastbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bay, bottom fishing, flats fishing, gulf, tips and tricks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in