Vacationing for the next week and want to do some fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Vacationing for the next week and want to do some fishing

Me and my family will be driving in Saturday afternoon (leaving friday evening from Illinois) and are staying in a condo at the Santa Rose Dunes on Pensacola Beach (bayside) until the 13th.

I already contacted a couple charters over the past week (Hot Spots & Total Package) and hope to line up a walk-on for myself next week. I'm planning to bring a couple poles with me as the condominium complex has a pier but I haven't fished much saltwater and the only fish I've ever caught was a 25lb King Mackerel probably 12 years ago off the Pensacola Beach pier and don't recall what I used for bait or how the gear was setup. My dad had Gulf Breeze bait and tackle set me up with a rod, gear, and baits and it's been too long to remember.

So, my main pole is just an open face shimano with an ugly stik and it probably has some high test braided spiderwire on it. What's the best type of line, size hooks, bobber, bottom, or jig from a pier? Do I have the potential to catch something venomous or dangerous that I should watch out for? I really have know idea what types of fish I could even catch aside from what I've read on the forums here.

I appreciate any help or advice!

Thanks!

Curtis
curt2199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Most all salt water fish have sharp teeth, sharp spines and sharp gill plates so be weary of that. Salt water catfish, specifically hard heads have sharp and poisonous spines. DONT get stuck by one of those or your vacation will be ruined.

Of course be careful with rays but dont try to cut its tail or barb off, that is how most people get stung. Flip him on his back and remove or cut off the hook.

As for rigs, man there are too many ways to go about it. Your best bet is to head to the pier, take a few minutes to watch what everyone is doing, even ask some questions then head to the pier shack or local tackle shop (Hot Spots if youre in Pensacola) and grab what every one else seems to be using.

If youre interested in some offshore fishing from a kayak for a different kind of fishing experience shoot me a PM!
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the info and I'll probably pass on the kayaking as that's a little undiscovered territory for me. Something about stick my 6'4 260lb butt in a kayak on the ocean scares me.

So I'm assuming I need a fishing license... is that had at any bait shop, walmart, etc?
curt2199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

So I'm assuming I need a fishing license... is that had at any bait shop, walmart, etc?

Yep.

Or better yet print it while you are on the clock tomorrow http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/how-to-order/ and have more time to fish.
blaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Grouper

Hey Curt, I spoke to you earlier today about the charter!
You can come by Hot Spots Bait and Tackle and we can get you any license, bait and tackle you will need. Some of the places you will be fishing have their own license so you might be able to get by without buying one.
Im working on getting a trip together for next week and ill get with Sean with the Total Package and see if we can get a trip filled up.
Tyler Massey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt2199 View Post
Thanks for the info and I'll probably pass on the kayaking as that's a little undiscovered territory for me. Something about stick my 6'4 260lb butt in a kayak on the ocean scares me.

I would keep his offer in mind on the yak fishing. He can put you on some fish. He does really well. Check out some of his past reports! Good luck and enjoy your stay down here!
marmidor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in