Using these two charts where would you fish - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By etrade92
  • 1 Post By Realtor
  • 1 Post By TheBeeDeeGee
  • 1 Post By 60hertz

Old 08-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Using these two charts where would you fish

First post, but please consider me a regular because I am. This is mobile bay, and todays information, 12 noon, target is flounder, trout, redfish, sheepshead, and mangrove. Are these charts enough to have a productive day—the weather is sunny and there are oyster beds, grass, and bottom structure in all areas considered
Attached Thumbnails
Using these two charts where would you fish-6d5e029a-a80f-40e2-b05b-a384e6690ef1-jpg   Using these two charts where would you fish-b7cba7da-2fc7-4f4a-8e4f-87b0b90e0223-jpg  
Cooler full is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Grouper

I cannot attest to the first picture, but the salinity graph is a life saver in my opinion and I use it frequently. I fish Mobile Bay and the surrounding areas regularly. Being frank, it is just too dang hot right now. If you listen to local radio and podcast of the fishing reports, people are struggling to catch trout and reds in their normal haunts. It is not out of the question but it is truly the "dog days" of summer. Best of luck if you get out there and try!
jlw1972 likes this.
etrade92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrade92 View Post
I cannot attest to the first picture, but the salinity graph is a life saver in my opinion and I use it frequently. I fish Mobile Bay and the surrounding areas regularly. Being frank, it is just too dang hot right now. If you listen to local radio and podcast of the fishing reports, people are struggling to catch trout and reds in their normal haunts. It is not out of the question but it is truly the "dog days" of summer. Best of luck if you get out there and try!
If you wouldn't mind, educate me a bit on how you use the knowledge of water's salinity to plan or execute your trip for inshore fish? Are you looking for saltier water in general, or a specific salinity range? I am still learning the inshore thing, and I'm curious about how this plays into your day. Thanks!

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
Grand Slam

I'd stay away from the gray areas, but I'd focus more where the green areas are. Closer to the open gulf, more salty.... (2 cents)
jlw1972 likes this.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRidr View Post
If you wouldn't mind, educate me a bit on how you use the knowledge of water's salinity to plan or execute your trip for inshore fish? Are you looking for saltier water in general, or a specific salinity range? I am still learning the inshore thing, and I'm curious about how this plays into your day. Thanks!
No problem. I look at salinity in general, the higher the better. Lets say Evergreen, Montgomery, Selma, etc got a ton of rain in the previous days, I will use this chart to check to see if that freshwater has pushed down into the bay. In my experience it usually takes two to three days for it to really reach here. I live 5 minutes from the Causeway and like to put in there because it is convenient. This chart tells me if I need to trailer farther south, to maybe Bon Secour. In the late fall/early winter you can almost track the migration of Trout up into the delta by following the inflow of salinity over a few days time.
etrade92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

My first read on the salinity chart would be to stay away from the causeway (I-10) and it also looks like the eastern shore southern area down to ft. Morgan road is where the fish are piled up, the green area may hold bait fish the best and maybe the small yellow spot to the lower right is where the flounder are laying. But I rarely catch fish, but also I’ve never followed a chart such as this. However I did get into a mess of short specs west of the DIP bridge in the yellow area.

Last edited by Cooler full; 08-13-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Cooler full is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #7
Mingo

I'm just stoked to see locals using data from tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov I work for the office that provides all that data.
softbutchharley likes this.
TheBeeDeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Sailfish

People put too much emphasis on meteorological data.

Go fishing!

Be observant, if you're not catching fish try something different. Sometimes it's a different lure, sometimes you'll need to fish deeper, or it might be shallower. Sometimes fish hold around creek mouths, other times in the drop offs.

Some days the fish will bite anything, some days they won't bite at all.

Be observant. Try new things. Enjoy being outdoors and on the water.
softbutchharley likes this.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in