Upper Mobile Bay.....Need help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Snapper

Default Upper Mobile Bay.....Need help

I am about to give up. I read about and hear about good fishing in the area around the Causeway and the rivers coming in. After many attempts, I finally put my first fish in the boat yesterday. I had good luck when I lived in South Louisiana (Chauvin) but, just can't seem to get the pieces of the puzzle to fit. I'd been fishing outgoing tides and decided to switch. Yesterday the tide was inbound all day. I did lose a couple of fish and threw back a "stretchable" slot red.
I'd like some suggestions basically on tide function. I am convinced that if I can at least get to them when they are feeding, I can catch them. Yesterday, I watched 10 or so boats and didn't see anyone bringing anything in so actually, I feel good with my outing. I caught the speck at a little cut north of the causeway on the Spanish River and the red plus a couple of hits in the grass area/edges/shallows north of Tacky Jacks.

I know we had a front coming in (rain today) but, didn't pay much attention to it. The tidal flow was nice, not heavy. Figured it was the right time since they have been "tearing them up" around the causeway but, maybe that was "last week"
Appreciate any help. I have an old tunnel hull Carolina Skiff so I can work the shallows,

Thanks
Wally
GWally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
White Marlin

GWally, check my PM from yesterday, it should help. Also, I like outgoing tides, the tide will wash all of the baitfish out of the grass and I find the fish more active. Try the point method in the PM with one of the many grass islands in the middle of the rivers. It should create a feeding trough on the downcurrent side.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAlabamaSlayer View Post
GWally, check my PM from yesterday, it should help. Also, I like outgoing tides, the tide will wash all of the baitfish out of the grass and I find the fish more active. Try the point method in the PM with one of the many grass islands in the middle of the rivers. It should create a feeding trough on the downcurrent side.
Thanks. I got the pm. Actually, I think the only reason I caught the Speck was as a "lesson" (I get a lot of them). They were so easy to catch in Louisiana that I overlooked them as eating fish. Always gave them away. Fried that beauty up an hour or so ago and tried cooking it the way the Cajuns do (way overcooked for firm fleshed fish like reds) with some Zatarans Shrimp Fry (called an ol neighbor from Chauvin for a tip) and it was tasty. Now to try some White Trout (soon as I catch one ) I really like the tide chart program, shows Mobile State Docks which is about the level I fish so it is easy to plot when to go. In Louisiana, with all the winds in the bayous, it took some "ciphering". We had a couple of spots that in shrimp season, strong losing tide, 90% of the hits were doubles. Great for feeding friends.
I have always found "losing" (Cajun lingo) tides much better. There are a number of good spots (I worked the points but nothing was feeding).
Soon as I get a Tstat back in my motor (it was removed for driving in mud) I'll give it another try. The spots I fish are definitely "fishy" and I think you have put me on track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
Grouper

Also look for the birds. Find the birds diving and there is usually a school of specks around.
flounderslayerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
White Marlin

When I get out for Christmas I would be more than happy to take you one day and show you the ropes.
SouthAlabamaSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
Grand Slam

Don't give up. They are there, just have to keep at it.
jspooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

Take advantage on some of these offers to take you out. Also, don,t expect the same type of success as in Cocodrie, Lake Boudreaux,Robinson, Decade,Mechant, etc.
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsucole View Post
Take advantage on some of these offers to take you out. Also, don,t expect the same type of success as in Cocodrie, Lake Boudreaux,Robinson, Decade,Mechant, etc.
I certainly will. I was pretty spoiled there. There was a boat launch "across the bayou" from my house and got "led" through the canals and bayous to hot spots by a successful Cajun shrimper who lived next door. I swear he could smell reds. Actually, I'm happy to have at least finally gotten a couple in the boat and hope to get "the project" done for some fishing in the Gulf. It is really my "first love" and I'm ready to try it again after a 40 year "vacation".
Old 11-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthAlabamaSlayer View Post
When I get out for Christmas I would be more than happy to take you one day and show you the ropes.
I'd really appreciate it and, if all goes well this spring, I can repay you with some Gulf trolling. My mouth is watering for some Mahi. Last ones I caught were with a Navy buddy in Key West in the late 60's. Had some grilled with teriyaki at a Lauau and have never forgotten how good they tasted. I also hear that Wahoo and Cobia are good eating but, have never caught or tasted either.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Snapper

I checked the tides website. Looks like around 15 Dec timeframe, plus or minus, strong drop up til around noon or earlier. That could mean for some really cold fishing. I've read periodically that a strong tidal flow is not necessarily the best. I guess with the river flow added, that would make it really strong but, for flushing bait out of the grass, I'd think that would be a plus.
Make sense?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in