Trade Reds for Trout? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree10Likes

Old 09-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Trade Reds for Trout?

Good morning, PFF! Now that the winds have finally started to die down it's time to head back on the water and tighten some lines. I've been absolutely wearing out the specks the last few weeks, but I'd really like to get back into some decent red action again.

For the longest time I couldn't buy a solid trout bite, but the reds were keeping me busy. Now I'll catch 20-30 specks and there isn't a red to be found (not even a rat)! Granted, I've been fishing a little bit different areas for the trout, but only because the usual areas that have held reds in the past have been unproductive.

If anyone would like to swap tactics (hence the title), I'd be happy to do so if it puts me on some of those pumpkins again! I'm talking time of day, tackle, depth, current, casting direction, retrieval, etc., that's how detailed I can be. be

I know I can go to the bridges at night and get into the bulls, but I'm more of an early morning guy who favors the topwater bite on the flats.

Take care,

Jake
OHenry likes this.
Whiskey16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Sailfish

Seems to me that TOPWATER ON THE FLATS EARLY MORNING should be the answer. Switch to a larger, more noisy lure, e.g., R2S Whopper Plopper size 130 in bone w/ retrieve-stop-retrieve action, large Storm Rattlin Chug Bug, etc...
Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Apex
Sailfish

Early morning topwater. Caught a nice slot and a rat last week on a super spook jr trout color. Super spook in bone white produces as well.
NKlamerus likes this.
God, grant that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast, I then most humbly pray: when in the Lord's great landing net, and peacefully asleep, that in His mercy I may be judged "as good enough to keep."
SouthernAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Sailfish

On Monday, Thursday, and Friday of last week I caught numerous mid to upper slot reds around the deeper creek mouths on the east side of Escambia Bay - all caught on a red 1/8 oz Hank Brown Hookup jig head with a Mirrolure Lil' John Provoker in the Golden Bream color and some mullet flavored Pro Cure gel slathered on it.

Fish were biting from daylight until around 8:30 and then the bite slowed up.

Couldn't buy a topwater bite.
60hertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
Mingo

Thanks, fellas. Sounds like I've been doing the right things (early morning spook on the flats and troughs), so I guess I'm just not picking the right ones. I have been working Escambia, but I thought maybe the salinity was too low after all the rain we had this summer.

The trout have been stacked in the sound, right at the 5'-7' dropoff on the last two hours of the tide (I still catch them at slack tide, but not nearly as many). Topwater, MR-17, jerk shad, jig, whatever have been working (color doesn't seem to matter). Casting anywhere in the area of the drop off works, but going parallel seems to have the best results, especially when I cast into the sun (painful, but effective).

The blues, lady fish, and grass have been thick, so you may have to weed (no pun intended) through these to get what you want.

Unfortunately, almost every trout has had worms, so if you like to keep what you catch (which I do), just be ready to throw a lot of filets away. I haven't caught any monsters this summer, but most are in the 16"-20" range.

Keep em' tight!

Jake
Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey16 View Post

Unfortunately, almost every trout has had worms, so if you like to keep what you catch (which I do), just be ready to throw a lot of filets away. I haven't caught any monsters this summer, but most are in the 16"-20" range.

Keep em' tight!

Jake
Please don't throw them away. They're perfectly safe to eat.

If you're going to throw them away, then just throw them back.
KnotSure likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60hertz View Post
Quote:

Keep em' tight!

Jake
Please don't throw them away. They're perfectly safe to eat.

If you're going to throw them away, then just throw them back.
I'm pretty good and cutting out the worms, but some are way too infested to even bother.

I've got a family of 6 to feed, so I'm bringing home everything I'm legally allowed to possess. I haven't frozen anything in years, because, at best, I have a little left over for lunch the next day after my minions get their fill. The good news (for the fish) is that they all get to go back after I put the first 5 in the cooler!
Fishing Grandpa likes this.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Wolfgang
Trigger

Quote:
Those worms just add protein value to the food. Nothing wrong at all.
Ever seen the worms in amberjack? You can jump rope with them.
KnotSure is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotSure View Post
Quote:
Those worms just add protein value to the food. Nothing wrong at all.
Ever seen the worms in amberjack? You can jump rope with them.
I don't mind it, because cooking them kills everything, but the kids...that's a different story. Have you ever tried getting a 7 year old just to eat normal food? That can be difficult enough. Now let them find WORMS in their food!!! You'll never get them to eat anything ever again; haha!

Unfortunately, I've never landed a monster AJ, but I've heard they have some mondo worms in them. I guess the good thing about those is there is so much meat that there is still plenty left after you clean them out.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Sailfish

I don't want to get all "lawyer" on ya, but there are laws in FL that actually make what you're doing illegal - if you are knowingly killing something that's legal to kill and then wasting it (by not consuming it or using it for something else like bait or whatever.)

So, you might not want to get on a public forum bragging about throwing away trout just because there's a few worms in it.

I understand your plight about picky kids as this is why neither of my kids were allowed to clean fish until they were older and had a better understanding of things.

Also, if you take the time to read this article:

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...g_your_fi.html

and follow the author's advice then it WILL dramatically change the taste, appearance, and texture of your trout fillets. Also, since I started following the technique the author provides I've noticed far less worms in my trout fillets - I'm thinking that the worms don't like the cold and migrate to other parts of the fish that are warmer - so, when you clean the fish the worms don't end up in the fillets as much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in