Top Water set up - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Top Water set up

Lately I have become a top water addict. I love waking up inactive fish and getting a reaction bite. I like too use a light fast action rod that I feel the lure. Looking for some opinions on setups,rods, leader lengths that might help.
fishon_57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Grouper

fenwick rods. i have a med-fast and its great! what kind of reel are you using?
J0nesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I also like a medium fast. i usually run 25 lb braid for most inshore and just change my leader, depending on whether im targeting reds or specks. I normally use Flourocarbon, around 12 lbs for specks and 16-18 for reds depending on if im chasing bulls or slots. My favorite Topwater is a Rapala Skitterwalk in white. I've caught reds and specks daytime and night on that lure and it has a sweet action with good hooks right out of the box.
coltongunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
Sailfish

When throwing topwaters you need to use tackle that affords you the ability to make very long casts. I use a 7 ft. medium light action spinning rod and 10 lb braid. For a leader, I use 17 lb to 20 lb mono. Mono leaders don't sink. Therefore they are better for topwater baits than flouro leaders. There is no need to use a leader longer than 36 inches for topwater baits.

As far as hooks, I hate most of the hooks that come on topwater baits. I mainly throw a super spook jr. and I always change the hooks. I use Gamakatsu #2 EWG. The wider gapped hooks will give your bait more hooking area and will increase your hook up ratio.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Water set up-20150622_142100-jpg  
dabutcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Right now I got a spinfisher on, bit heavy... trying to set up a top of the water only combination have several reel options now looking at rods.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabutcher View Post
When throwing topwaters you need to use tackle that affords you the ability to make very long casts. I use a 7 ft. medium light action spinning rod and 10 lb braid. For a leader, I use 17 lb to 20 lb mono. Mono leaders don't sink. Therefore they are better for topwater baits than flouro leaders. There is no need to use a leader longer than 36 inches for topwater baits.

As far as hooks, I hate most of the hooks that come on topwater baits. I mainly throw a super spook jr. and I always change the hooks. I use Gamakatsu #2 EWG. The wider gapped hooks will give your bait more hooking area and will increase your hook up ratio.
I'll have to try the mono, makes since. I do like the skiter walks myself, spooks work well also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nesi View Post
fenwick rods. i have a med-fast and its great! what kind of reel are you using?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in