Tides and Flats? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 07-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Tides and Flats?

I have been doing a lot of fishing on grass flats here lately with much success. One thing that I have noticed is my more plentiful, and larger quality bites have been on a falling tide; more precisely the later half of a falling tide when the water depth is at its minimalist.
I assumed that the bite on a shallow water area would be better when the tide is rising so that the fish would be able to feed without worry of being stuck on land when the water dropped, and also bc the tide coming in would funnel bait into the flat and the predatory fish could ambush the current flowing bait.
Anybody have an explanation on how the tide would affect the flat or tell me my thought process is just flat out wrong??
Aze0008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
I pegged my fishometer
Grouper

I think it depends on where you are in relation to the point where the gulf enters the bay. I found that on incoming tides I do better when you fish the flats closer to the pass, outgoing tide I fish where bait is being swept from the bays. When the tides are flat-I go golf.
Johnms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

You hit on it: predators follow baitfish. Find the baitfish (mullet, LY, bull minnows), you'll find the bite on the flats. Also ook for small variances in depth for ambush points (especially during low tide) - sandy pot holes, prop trenches, etc. Those act as good ambush points. I like to fan cast and cover a lot of water... once you find them, settle in for a bit.
Aze0008 likes this.
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnms View Post
I think it depends on where you are in relation to the point where the gulf enters the bay. I found that on incoming tides I do better when you fish the flats closer to the pass, outgoing tide I fish where bait is being swept from the bays. When the tides are flat-I go golf.
Where I'm fishing there is an entrance to the gulf less than mile away from the flat. And the tide has been going out with the falling tide in this particular location.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Mike View Post
You hit on it: predators follow baitfish. Find the baitfish (mullet, LY, bull minnows), you'll find the bite on the flats. Also ook for small variances in depth for ambush points (especially during low tide) - sandy pot holes, prop trenches, etc. Those act as good ambush points. I like to fan cast and cover a lot of water... once you find them, settle in for a bit.
This particular flat is about 300 yards long x 60 yards wide with grass throughout the whole area and about 20 yards of the perimeter is 2-3 ft with the middle having holes that drop down in depths up to 6' in some holes.
I've graphed the whole area with down and side scan and found numerous pot holes with sandy, hard bottoms and prop trenches dug throughout the entire way.
Most luck seemed to be in the middle where the depth dropped into the aforementioned holes that had a hard bottom.
Bait fish located all throughout the grass.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
Grouper

Sounds like you have a good area. Some days it will be on fire, some days you'll go home empty handed. I've found that really early mornings have been best so far this year
Old 07-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Mingo

What are prop trenches?
SushiKing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiKing View Post
What are prop trenches?
When people run too shallow and destroy the grass with the skeg/prop. It takes years to grow back.
salty_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_dawg View Post
When people run too shallow and destroy the grass with the skeg/prop. It takes years to grow back.
If ever...

watching people run over flats makes me sick to my stomach...
Aze0008 likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiKing View Post
What are prop trenches?
look at google earth images and you'll see areas that look like tire tracks or paths in the shallows -- especially in areas going to a from boat docks that are shallow. Look closely at the Oriole Beach boat ramp area and you'll see.

Last edited by TeaSea; 07-15-2014 at 03:26 PM.
TeaSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in