Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Tarpon at Perdido Pass

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SparetimeII 
#1 ·
Had a sighting of my first Tarpon ever in the Gulf of Mexico between the buoy and jetties at Perdido Pass. It was a large fish I would say 100+ pounder. I thought it was a little early for them but I reckon not. A buddy in another boat threw to it but no taker.

#2 ·
not to early i have seen many as early as march but in the spring they will never eat around july they will show up good and u can target them but its tough up here they dont bite like they do down south if u want to get a bite u need to spot the fish get ahead of them shut your motor off and wait for them to shim to u then throw at them a live hearing or threadfin is your best bait

#5 · (Edited)
6" yozuri mag minnow in golden mullet... not sure if they make it any more but it is hands down the best lure for kings/tarpon off of piers or in a kayak.

Looks just like a cigar minnow.

It's the top one.... second from top works well too, but is a distant second IMHO.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Had a very large one on for 10-12 leaps just off the beach East of the pass last May. Hit a MirrOdine 18 slow trolling behind the yak. Not a good enough fisherman to land a 100 plus lb fish on 8lb test. Sure was fun to watch though. People on the beach had a good show too. The fish couldn't have been more than 30 yards from the beach when he broke off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.