Tarpon in Perdido Bay??? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Tarpon in Perdido Bay???

Would a tarpon find its way into the lower bay (north of Innerarity)? My 7 year old was fishing off the dock with live pinfish and hooked up on a roughly 24 inch fish. It nearly spooled him on the first run. About the time I got to him and helped him tighten the drag down, the fish started going vertical. Bret kept the line tight through the airshow, then worked him to within 20 feet of the dock. The fish should have been worn slam out, the boy was pretty close, too. But as soon as I got a glimpse of the fish he bolted again, running the drag like it wasn't even on. He went vertical again and the line went loose...when he hit the water he was free. He looked for all the world like a tarpon to me...do they around here?

Hell of an evening for a kid who was playing with hardhead cats hoping for a trout!
LibertyCall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Snapper

Default RE: Tarpon in Perdido Bay???

Its entirely possible that it was a small tarpon. We have a house on the north side of Ono Island, south side Innerarity Point, and I've seen tarpon off our dock before. Now, that tarpon siting was probably 8-10 years ago, but I don't see why tarpon wouldn't still occasionally visit our area. So, it is definitely in the realm of possibility that a young tarpon (24 incher) made its way to south Perdido Bay...its probably not normal, so consider yourself (or your son) lucky for catching one randomly off your dock. Nice Dock Catch!
HeartofDixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Grouper

definitly. I have seen them in the north end of perdido, So the area you are talking about would be no problem. Just so happens that me and Capt Wes had this same conversation a few evenings ago concerning tarpon makin their way into perdido. I am sure as soon as he sees this thread he can shed a lil more light on the subject:angel

Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Snapper

Come the last part of August the big ones are up in the bay. Had a friend catch a Snook last year a small one but it was a Snook . It is rare but stranger things has happened .
curtpcol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
Grouper

It's possible that it could be a tarpon. But I would be willing to bet it was a big ladyfish. Just my .02.
fishnfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Mingo

Damn, here goes the OCD vein then. I have been obsessing about it since the action last night. Is there really any fish name cooler than Megalops? Anyone with experience targeting these things in the bay please advise.

Bret has a bruise in his gut from the rod butt. The fight this fish had seemed impossible for the size.

It may well have been a Ladyfish...only one way to find out: catch it again.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Mingo

Well, I guess I have my answer. This one hit him the same way, same spot, same bait. Considerably less of a fight, without so much vertical show. Fish weighed in at 2 lbs. Taught Bret how to refresh him and release him. Very cool.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Mingo

Hmm, can't insert the image for some reason...forum is asking for a URL instead of letting me browse to it. Anyway, its a ladyfish.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
Snapper

Hey Doug,

Is that off Harry's dock or the other side of you? Would love to come down and see that one. Was hoping it was a Tarpon, dang Ladyfish, they can fight too!
SandyKeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Mingo

Sandy,

That's off Harry's dock. The boys have been slaying the hardheads off of it lately, but this was a pleasant surprise. We have been building a boat for Bret in the garage for months now and should be launching it on Tuesday. Its a 12 foot rowboat, but he acts like its a Rybovich!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in