Stripers busting bait - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 01-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
White Marlin

Default Stripers busting bait

Ive been seeing a lot of stripers busting bait but I cant get one to eat. Ive thrown topwater, grubs, shallow and medidum diver plugs with no luck. What do guys normally throw? I try to throw in front of where I see them. Any specific tactics?? Thanks
chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

What are they busting on? Sometimes if you throw a bait much bigger then the bait they are eating on they won't touch it. When throwing on busting hybrids and stripe on lakes up in KY spoons and rooster tails were the ticket. When I get back in town you're going to have to take me out after those stripers.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps View Post
Ive been seeing a lot of stripers busting bait but I cant get one to eat. Ive thrown topwater, grubs, shallow and medidum diver plugs with no luck. What do guys normally throw? I try to throw in front of where I see them. Any specific tactics?? Thanks
Uh...hey Chaps...where EXACTLY have you been seeing these stripers...I only ask because we'll have to customize your tactics a lil bit based on the exact location......so in the interest of helping...where again was this happening...lol
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Uh...hey Chaps...where EXACTLY have you been seeing these stripers...I only ask because we'll have to customize your tactics a lil bit based on the exact location......so in the interest of helping...where again was this happening...lol
Ha ha. I was in an area for a 2 hr span and I must of seen it happen a dozen or so times. It was cool but I'd like to have caught one. I did get one to bite on a rapala plug but it threw the hook

JD they were chasing small mullet I think and a small white looking bait fish. I would see the bait fish hopping out of the water being chased. Really cool to see. I think that is a good idea to downsize my lure/jig. I might get some smaller buck tail jigs.
chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

some kind of soft bait/spoon etc. match the hatch always worked for us in VA while trolling/casting.
they'll tear up the little storms.
catch 'em up.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
Trigger

I've fished for Striped Bass for years...but not in this area since moving back home after retirement from the USAF...If throwing plugs, retrieve it SLOWWWWW...if you think it's slow enough, reel slower...if working a jig, a buck tail with a curly tail get the job done...as with any other fishing, MATCH THE HATCH...if they are chasing and busting on white baits, use an all white Buck tail including the curly tail...try to have an assortment of colors and sizes...as we all know, one day white, the next day not a bump unless green or another color...the sizes used will be determined by the size of the bait getting smashed...I used to carry everything from 1/2oz. to 5 in a jig or soft swim bait...if the stripers are in the fresh or brackish water, the baits could be shad that are getting slammed...try using a swimming shad pattern in the same area next time ya go...if it's more on the salty side, a menhaden color could do the trick...hope this helps...

18 Neptune CC.
115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
21 Searay Custom
Merc 260
devndeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
White Marlin

ok chaps...since you're not giving up your honey hole...may as well lend my two cents.

I agree w/ the slow approach...my go to lure of choice for bait busting stripers and lot of other fish is a chug bug...mullet or baby bass color...sometimes if I pop and just let it sit..they destroy it.
barefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
Snapper

I use a jerkbait. Never had it NOT work. A smithwick super rogue, a crystal minnow, whatever you like. I throw it to where they are coming up and jerk the heck out of it. Jerk jerk reel slack. Jerk jerk jerk, Reel slack. Jerk. You get the idea. You could also use a Sluggo with a jig head. Jerk the crap out of it to get their attention. Make sure your drag is set, because you're going to hook up.

OK, now WHERE were those fish??????
Amarillo Palmira is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

small subsurface jerkbaits work well up in virginia when the bite is off
Gotta Gaff 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
TRG
Mingo

I use a W6 bomber but have caught them on stretch 25, color doesn't matter to me I only fish for them at night and the colder and deeper the better.
Don't think the water is cold enough yet, only had one good night so far this winter.

Last edited by TRG; 01-05-2013 at 10:51 AM.
TRG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in