Spawning Periods For Reds & Specks? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree7Likes

Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Spawning Periods For Reds & Specks?

I know that specks are carrying eggs right now but when do they push into beds?
When do reds normally push up to spawn?
Also, if anyone has any advice for catching spawning fish?
Are they anything like bass? Bass go into a pre-spawn, spawn, and post spawn phase do specks and reds do this as well?
I have found some grass flats areas that I think could be a great spawning area for these fish but my luck on artificials has been minimal at best. I'm not keeping these spawning fish either, I am big believer in letting them repopulate and keep our waters thriving but sight fishing spawning bass is one the most fun ways to catch bass and I think sight fishing some gator trout and reds when they move up could be fun and a great way to show some people who don't really pattern fish out like I try to. Thanks in advance!
Aze0008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Grouper

In my experience... big female trout that are getting ready to lay their eggs usually find deep holes around structure to lay them... hence why such big fish get pulled out of deep areas around bridges and deep troughs in the TIC, Austal, areas around Ingalls in Pascagoula and Mississippi sound and the likes... not to say they are all there but that's where your greater concentration of wall hangers seem to be...

As far as patterns... Trout migrate up into the rivers/bayous in the wintertime into deep pockets in the rivers/bayous that hold warmer saltier water (because it is more dense than fresh it settles on the bottom in these pockets) once the weather starts to warm up in the spring they head out of the rivers towards the ocean to lay eggs... this usually happens around April/May... after that trout can be found all over the place just about ... flats, shoals, oyster reefs, near channels that come up to a long flat, cuts, etc... they are easier to catch in the mornings usually in these areas in the summer and once the water heats up they head for deeper water and can be caught around the oil platforms in mobile bay and areas like these... in the fall school trout start to migrate back towards the rivers/bayous and can be seen chasing bait... just look for the birds... and then the process starts back over...

Hope this helps somewhat!
UncleMilty7 likes this.
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2008 Sea Hunt BX21 Pro 150 Yamaha 4-stroke
stauty trout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks, Stauty Trout, that does help I always try to relate their patterns and behaviors to bass since thats the patterening system I have learned most. Mostly redfish I relate it to though trout I really never targeted them just caught them every now and then so I have been looking to broaden my trout experience more though, so your advice is noted and appreciated.
Let me ask you though, what kind of area are you looking for for trout spawning grounds, like hard bottoms, deep vertical structure, or any thing like that?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
Formerly Hank Hill
Grouper

They feed heavily just before and after the spawn. They spawn at full moon.

Speckled trout spawning activity depends on environmental factors such as currents, salinity and temperature. Most spawning activity seems to take place in salinities of 17-35 parts per thousand (ppt). Full strength seawater is 35 ppt. The two most important factors that determine when speckled trout spawn are water temperature and day length. Egg development begins to take place as days become longer in spring. Water temperatures of 68F seem to trigger spawning, which continues as water temperature increases. Peak spawning takes place between 77F and 86EF. The cycle of the moon also seems to affect spawning, with spawning peaks occurring on or near the full moons of the spring and summer months. Females may spawn every 7 to 14 days during the April to September spawning period.
Aze0008 likes this.
16983 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Snapper

I'm a bass fisherman converted to salt water. If you want to catch fish, dont worry about spawning, its not the factor that it is with bass. You need to find feeding fish (right place AND right time). The saltwater fish move with tides and bait. Up onto the flats with rising tide and early morning, then as the tide falls they will wait by obstructions, channels, dropoffs and ambush prey moving with the water flow. Reds may be found right up against the marsh grass as tide rises, you may see their tails sticking out of the water as they feed on the bottom. For sight fishing reds, you often have to drop the bait right in front of them. You will have to find the trout by fancasting and focusing on areas where you get a hit. Also look for diving birds or disturbed water. Fish flats early AM.
Salt Lines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Lines View Post
I'm a bass fisherman converted to salt water. If you want to catch fish, dont worry about spawning, its not the factor that it is with bass. You need to find feeding fish (right place AND right time). The saltwater fish move with tides and bait. Up onto the flats with rising tide and early morning, then as the tide falls they will wait by obstructions, channels, dropoffs and ambush prey moving with the water flow. Reds may be found right up against the marsh grass as tide rises, you may see their tails sticking out of the water as they feed on the bottom. For sight fishing reds, you often have to drop the bait right in front of them. You will have to find the trout by fancasting and focusing on areas where you get a hit. Also look for diving birds or disturbed water. Fish flats early AM.
This

sometimes you'll have to cover a lot of area to find where they are biting... once you find them drop your trolling motor, anchor, power pole, etc and cast back in the vicinity of where strike has occurred.. Also sometimes (most of the time IYAM) it's necessarily color that matters of the lure, it's the shape/action of the lure... start off throwing what you are most confident in... if it's not working move away from it...

With the water being as muddy as it has been at the beginning of this year artificial bait have not worked very well so far (except gulp shrimp), for me... live croaker and shrimp on the free line have been king
Aze0008 likes this.
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14
Old 06-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Lines View Post
Thanks, that clears things up alot. I was focusing too much on the spawning stages thinking they would have similar to same behaviors when it came to spawning.
What made me do much better in my bass tournaments was studying and understanding and learning the behavioral patterns of the fish. And I do believe that it will happen with my saltwater fishing as well so thanks to both of yall for clearing a lot of those questions up.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stauty trout View Post
This

sometimes you'll have to cover a lot of area to find where they are biting... once you find them drop your trolling motor, anchor, power pole, etc and cast back in the vicinity of where strike has occurred.. Also sometimes (most of the time IYAM) it's necessarily color that matters of the lure, it's the shape/action of the lure... start off throwing what you are most confident in... if it's not working move away from it...

With the water being as muddy as it has been at the beginning of this year artificial bait have not worked very well so far (except gulp shrimp), for me... live croaker and shrimp on the free line have been king
Yeah I would agree completely with you I started this year (summer mainly) throwing only artificials, trying to learn and better my techniques with them but I might have put maybe two fish in the boat with artificials, I switched back to live bait just this past weekend and did 150% better. I'm going to have to try the artificials out again to see if I can catch em on tho but ill keep the live bait in the live-well as back up!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1109 View Post
They feed heavily just before and after the spawn. They spawn at full moon.

Speckled trout spawning activity depends on environmental factors such as currents, salinity and temperature. Most spawning activity seems to take place in salinities of 17-35 parts per thousand (ppt). Full strength seawater is 35 ppt. The two most important factors that determine when speckled trout spawn are water temperature and day length. Egg development begins to take place as days become longer in spring. Water temperatures of 68F seem to trigger spawning, which continues as water temperature increases. Peak spawning takes place between 77F and 86EF. The cycle of the moon also seems to affect spawning, with spawning peaks occurring on or near the full moons of the spring and summer months. Females may spawn every 7 to 14 days during the April to September spawning period.
So, the females spawn multiple times and only for a day at a time? I assume these fish become territorial of the beds at that time. Do the leave after they spawn that day, or do they stay on their beds until they completely spawn out? Like you said they may spawn every 7 to 14 days
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aze0008 View Post
Yeah I would agree completely with you I started this year (summer mainly) throwing only artificials, trying to learn and better my techniques with them but I might have put maybe two fish in the boat with artificials, I switched back to live bait just this past weekend and did 150% better. I'm going to have to try the artificials out again to see if I can catch em on tho but ill keep the live bait in the live-well as back up!
The problem is the water has been so dirty the fish can't see the bait, and therefore no strikes (unless you hit the fish with it )... The fish can sense the movement and scent of the live bait better and can find it... If you haven't found out about the wonderful product know as Pro-Cure, I suggest you go pick up a bottle... it's some really good stuff ... always keep you some gulp shrimp as well... they are my go to artificial a lot of times
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in