Son and I new to fishing please help!!! - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Like Tree4Likes

Old 03-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Exclamation Son and I new to fishing please help!!!

Hello all, my son and I have just got into fishing in the area and have no access to either a boat or kayak to go places other than shore or piers. We have had no luck recently with our first 5 fishing trips and always come home upset because of it. No matter what we do we cant seem to catch anything. Right now Sheepshead are running but we cant seem to get any at Fort Pickens. Like I said we have little to no idea on the local spots to go to and we would love to actually cook our own dinner one night haha. Any idea on where to go, what time, what gear, or even the best times and places to go for certain species? We have no idea what were doing wrong and the tackle shops aren't much help so any information from the locals that would help would make my son and I very grateful. We're going out this upcoming Sunday, the 26th, so hope to see you all there! Thanks again!
CDeBoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Read up on the surf fishing section and take him out on the beach. There is a ton of how to post in that section on how to surf fish and what to fish with. Also a good write up on how to read the surf. Hope ya'll get into them

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Murphy's Law is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

http://fishingdestinguide.com
Mandatory Fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #4
Sailfish

Its best to try to fish the high tide ,whenever that might be....Pickens should produce some fish for you,maybe you need to tune what you are putting in the water....The best thing to do on a pier is pay attention to what the people that are catching fish are fishing with....
Give it just a couple of weeks and the spanish mackeral should be invading the Gulf piers....You shouldnt go home empty when they're here....Good Luck
fairpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Mingo

Here's a recent "quick start guide" :

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ishing-890786/

Try going to the beach at Low tide, just to see where the deep spots and channels are.

Check out the various posts about "how to read the surf".

Don't stay in one place ... 15 - 20 minutes ... if no bites, move.

Until you're experienced, don't bother with the hassle & expense of live shrimp.

"Fishbites" are fine for now, both as bait and as a trailer on jigs & spoons.

( Forget about frozen shrimp, or frozen anything else. )

If you want to use natural bait, "fresh dead" shrimp are a middle ground.

Good luck.

Last edited by Woody Forbs; 03-25-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Woody Forbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Blue Marlin

So for starters. Lay out all your gear. Take a few pics and let's us see what you are working with.
Top secret spot. Behind Wahoo stadium. 1/2 oz egg sinker. 14" leader. Circle hook and a piece of shrimp. You will figure out the rest there. But seriously let's see what you got.

sent from outside your bedroom window
lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #7
Grouper

Make an investment. Hire a good inshore guide, and ask him to take you to places you could wade fish, and ask him to teach you how to pattern and catch the fish; not trying to load the boat, just teaching. A good guide would probably be able to do that for you.

Learn all you can from the people who already do it. There are lots of people who post on the forums about wade-fishing. Try to learn from them, whether by their posts or trying to catch up with them in person sometime. Don't ask them to show you spots or locations, ask them to share with you tactics and patterns.

There is a lot of local knowledge around. Try to benefit from it without poaching it, and you may find some nuggets of wisdom upon which to build. Be patient, and at all times try to be respectful.
Fishing Grandpa likes this.

"Things are only impossible until they're not"
SurfRidr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Grouper

Location: Cordova Park Pensacola, and Navarre at William's Creek

Most beginners use too heavy terminal tackle. Lighten up on the leader and hook, and just shoot for getting a fish on and learn from there. Wading the grass flats is one of the easiest ways to fish, and the water is almost warm enough to do it.
Rickpcfl and Woody Forbs like this.
First Cast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
Mingo

It’s a little slow right now unless you are in a boat finding the fish. Surf fishing is about to improve over the next weeks and months. The pompano are just starting to show up. Once the water is like bath water it’s not too hard to fill a cooler with whiting. I look forward to fresh fish again.
sbrettphill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
Grand Slam

Yeah man hang in there. Many years ago when I moved into the area I had the "heavy tackle for salt water" thing going. Now I know better. A live shrimp and a small split shot tossed out on 10 lb line will get a fish of some sort. Most are eatable, and some are actually good to eat!
Fishing Grandpa likes this.
"Don't sweat the petty stuff.... and never pet the sweaty stuff."
-------
"Don't get rid of a boat that's paid for or a woman that cooks, no matter what they look like."
-------
"The lower your standards the luckier you get"
-------
"I tried to make it to the nipple, but just got the elbow."
hjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
help a newb, help needed, inshore, inshore guide, newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in