Snap Swivels - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Inshore Fishing - General Q&A

Old 09-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Snap Swivels

Do you use snap swivels to terminate your lines? I use black snaps to make it easier to change lures when I'm fishing artificial, and I wanted to ask is this a good idea.

I'm starting to think it may be better to take the extra 2 mins and just tie directly to the line instead of using a swivel.
Johnson11c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
Mingo

yeah i dont have very good luck with them. They always end up breaking lol.
PierGoogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #3
Trigger

I have found that I catch more fish with less bling around my lures. A good loop knot will allow for better action on most hard-body lures. Though it is frustrating to have to tie on another lure when in the middle of a hot bite.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Trigger

If I'm hitting bonito or spanish on Gotcha plugs or spoons I'll use about a fairly light 6" wire leader with a swivel to the main line and a snap at the other for quick lure/color changes while protecting the main line. The store bought ones can work, but tend to be too thick for my preferences so I tie my own with Offshore Angler malin wire in 30lb and smaller barrel swivels/snaps.

Also, when trolling at decent speeds for kings or mahi I'll use a heavier barrel to snap swivel to make changing plugs or skirt rigs easier when issues come up or one color becomes a clear performer.

Anytime I'm actually fishing slower, it's all heavy mono or fluorocarbon leaders tied directly to my lures.
hxchip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the replies. I've been wondering about this for the past few weeks and haven't had a chance to actually try it. Will definitely give no swivels a shot. I figure the only thing i'm losing is the 2 minutes it takes to tie another one on.
Johnson11c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreezetom View Post
I have found that I catch more fish with less bling around my lures. A good loop knot will allow for better action on most hard-body lures. Though it is frustrating to have to tie on another lure when in the middle of a hot bite.
Ditto. I also find a greater bite when I tie on (double uni) a longer leader (8'-9') onto my braid. In the river over here, the fish can see braid. The flouro leader helps.
2012 Sea Fox 220XT
markbxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Mingo

What knot do you use that takes 2 minutes to tie? I'm assuming a uni or a clinch knot. Try the Orvis knot. You can look it up online. It has been my go to know for about the last seven years. I've never had one fail and they are a lot faster to tie than the uni or clinch knot. I can tie a lure on in about 5 seconds...if I'm moving slow. Seriously. It is an easy and fast knot to tie.
testoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by testoner View Post
What knot do you use that takes 2 minutes to tie? I'm assuming a uni or a clinch knot. Try the Orvis knot. You can look it up online. It has been my go to know for about the last seven years. I've never had one fail and they are a lot faster to tie than the uni or clinch knot. I can tie a lure on in about 5 seconds...if I'm moving slow. Seriously. It is an easy and fast knot to tie.
Slick knot. Do you also use the same knot to tie your mainline to your leader (tie both sides like you would a double uni knot), or only for terminal tackle?

For my terminal tackle I use a tarpon loop, which gives my lure or jighead a little more action. Like having a split ring, except less hardware.
2012 Sea Fox 220XT
markbxr400 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
OCD Reel Service/Repair
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreezetom View Post
The loop knot is super easy to tie and has never came loose or broken on me in many, many years.

Since the 70's.

"Wheelchair Accessible Fishing"
Ocean Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Mingo

I don't use it for leader to line (or tipper to leader for my fly rod). I use the Orivs knot for all my other ties unless I want a loop at the end in order to give some action to my lure/fly.
testoner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in